Memorable World Cup Moments?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Gio's goal and girls stripping down to their underwear and jumping in the Amstel after the Brazil match (hopefully much more of that on Sunday).

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
mr Mag00 said:
I have enjoyed some but it has now dragged on too long

A lot of truth in this. It's a lot of exposure to just one sport concentrated in a short time. It's also true, going by the comments of German fans at their losing the semi, that the whole thing is taken far too seriously by some - a fact applying to most countries I suspect.

Putting a pseudo musical intrument back in the cellar on a mass scale is also something to look forward to ....

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I've generally enjoyed it, and contrary to Marinyork's view, I think the general standard has been good in the sense that, with the exception of one or two teams, there has not been a huge gap between some great teams and some that don't belong at all. I would say that there are fewer extremes - there are no truly great teams at this World Cup as well as being fewer really weak teams - and this may give rise to an impression of a lack of overall quality. There have, however, also been fewer genuinely exciting moments. I think the last 20 minutes of the Slovakia vs. Italy game were the msot exciting minutes of the competition, although the Netherlands beating Brazil and Germany thrashing Argentina, were also impressive.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I may not have thought it was quite as good as some of the other tournaments but I've still nevertheless carried on watching the matches. I quite liked the Uruguay v Netherlands semi, wasn't great but there were three good goals. It's a bit weird who to route for as I liked recent previous Spanish and Dutch teams but neither of them this time.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I agree with Flying Monkey - I really enjoyed watching teams like Japan, S Korea, Australia and even New Zealand playing some quality football and seeming to be really enjoying it. Not to mention the USA. The days when many if not most teams could be just brushed aside en route seem to be over - which is all to the good.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
[quote name='swee'pea99' date='08 July 2010 - 17:21:38' timestamp='1278606098' post='1322360']
I agree with Flying Monkey - I really enjoyed watching teams like Japan, S Korea, Australia and even New Zealand playing some quality football and seeming to be really enjoying it. Not to mention the USA. The days when many if not most teams could be just brushed aside en route seem to be over - which is all to the good.
[/quote]

Agreed.

After the final I think its fair to say it was a bit of a victory for fairness, the best player in the tournament scores the winning goal in the final for the team that have waivered from their tactics the least.

Iniesta's goal was great (initial ref error aside) and definately a memorable moment for me.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Iniesta's goal was great (initial ref error aside) and definately a memorable moment for me.

Apart from the karate kick to the chest (which was memorable for the wrong reasons), that was just about the only memorable moment from the finals. And yes, as you say, from the guy who was for me too, the player of the tournament.

Top Bottom