Mending a shifter, or not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member

Took this Sora 9 speed shifter apart to see if I could find what the problem was and I think its the small shaft at the top. Anyone tried to replace one and with any success. Could buy a broken one for spares, is my current thought. Not financially critical, but a fun task I might learn something on.

Swiss watch makers find them too intricate.^_^

a.twiddler

Veteran
I use Sora 9 speed (or at least last time I used it, it worked) but so many other bicycling distractions these days. I just hope it keeps on working as I don't think I could fix it either. I've got so used to friction shifting on the recumbent that I might go for the course of least resistance and just fit bar end shifters if it conked out. I imagine the brake would still be usable even with the STI part disconnected.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a jammed 105 shifter in a cupboard. I have no plans to try to fix it. But I don't want to throw it away, you know, just in case.

presta

Guru
I took a bar end shifter apart once just out of curiosity, it's not reasssemblable because you have to drill the riveted end off the central pillar. The hardened steel detent track had broken, which was why I could only access the bottom five or six gears. Being as it's fairly easy to make do without the top gears I'd continued using it for several hundred miles, more than long enough to get me back home from Lands End.

faster

Über Member
I once managed to reassemble one of these. The exact same type I think, Sora 3400?

In my case the small torsion spring near the top of your photo had broken. I managed to replace it and get the thing back together. It seems to work fine, but it's just a spare at the moment.

I don't think I'd bother trying to fix one again, and i try to fix almost everything.

Very frustrating - it's the sort of job where you can be 99% off the way there, then a spring right at the bottom of the sandwich of parts comes adrift and you're back to square one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Very frustrating - it's the sort of job where you can be 99% off the way there, then a spring right at the bottom of the sandwich of parts comes adrift and you're back to square one.
I have a vague recollection of being 80% through reassembly of my Campagnolo shifter and spotting one small part that II had forgotten to put back! :laugh:

Top Bottom