Mercedes cars - what a disappointment!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mrs Gti inherited from her parents and decided to splash out on a nice car, used of course so as not to take the hit on the initial depreciation. Once dealers heard she wanted to pay cash and not take PCP they lost interest and had nothing to offer her. Our local dealer Adil has now been renamed Nodeal in our household.

screenman

Legendary Member
Mrs Gti inherited from her parents and decided to splash out on a nice car, used of course so as not to take the hit on the initial depreciation. Once dealers heard she wanted to pay cash and not take PCP they lost interest and had nothing to offer her. Our local dealer Adil has now been renamed Nodeal in our household.

I think there may be more to this story, certainly the dealer would prefer you buy on finance, but none that I know would refuse to sell you a car for cash, once the checks have been put in process. Just reminded me I have some dents to play with at an Audi dealership tomorrow

keithmac

Guru
460BHP? :ohmy:

Jackie Stewart won 3 F1 World titles with less. I don't know what modern regulations are but when I watched rallying Group A Sierras and the like were limited to 300 BHP.

Why on earth would anyone need a road car with 460bhp? :wacko:

Just about any mass produced car of the past 40 or 50 years (with the possible exception of the Fiat 126 and Citroen 2CV) will exceed the speed limits.

To be fair I can't comment on that having a 550bhp Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo sat on the drive but the Rangerover was a big heavy well built car, need the oomph to move the weight.

I've ridden motorcycles with 240bhp (stock from the factory) and they are shockingly quick, pointless for 99% of riders but good pub talk!.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
QC? They do seem to have a fair number of recalls though on Toyotas, Hondas

Continued QC. I had my 17 year old Toyota Corolla in for a recall this week. It was to upgrade an earlier recall some 5 years ago on the passenger side airbag that they had improved on.

I'm going Japanese next time... Probably Toyota again. This one ought to give me at least another 5 years.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have to walk 15 mins into work (since my m/bike was stolen), it's in BD9 which is German car city. I park up my 2002 Ford and go boggle eyed as I walk past far newer VAG cars rusty as hell, it's always VAG cars that I notice. There are a lot of E46 coupes, all rusted up wings, Passats bubbled up, an V6 Audi a convertible, 05 or 06, has holes that you can poke your fingers through on both front wings, how much was that car new £35/40K, blimey!

It just strikes me that being hilly and surrounded by hills, Bradford probably gets more than its share of road salt in the winter, which would help explain the high rate of attrition from rust.

mustang1

Guru
I know someone who buys different cars and has had a problem with every single one. Audi, problem. Toyota, yes, Toyota, continuous problems.

I know someone else: not even a single problem from some of the most reputedly unreliable cars like range rover and Aston.

You lot are a bunch of whingers. Keep it coming!

vickster

Legendary Member
And his guzzling Volvo - the Smart's going. :laugh:
I think these Swedish behemoths might be electric....although of course that has to be produced as does the car in the first place...and I don’t think they make Volvos out of recycled newspaper so the environmental impact of the parts and manufacturing must be pretty significant for two large cars?!
And aren’t cars and especially SUVs the work of the devil himself??

Last edited:
Top Bottom