Mercedes cars - what a disappointment!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There are many examples of billionaires living comparatively frugal lives: the late Ingvar Kamprad, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to name a few.

A study in the USA, identified the majority of the country's millionaires were normal people 'living next door' - i.e. you would never guess they were millionaires from their house, car, lifestyle.

Slick

Guru
There are many examples of billionaires living comparatively frugal lives: the late Ingvar Kamprad, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to name a few.

A study in the USA, identified the majority of the country's millionaires were normal people 'living next door' - i.e. you would never guess they were millionaires from their house, car, lifestyle.
Spot on.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There's also the degree to which the manufacturers care which is linked to money. Examples are Ford ignoring the known problems with the petrol tank in the Pinto because it would cost too much to set right.
The truly shocking fact was that it was cheaper to pay compensation to victims that we're killed or maimed than to recall or put the cars right.

tyred

Legendary Member
I had a go in a £90k Range rover last Sunday.

It was a lovely car (2l Diesel with electric assist, 460bhp) BUT cost as much as our house did!.

Can't imagine having that sort of money in a car, but as screenman says it's all relative..

460BHP? :ohmy:

Jackie Stewart won 3 F1 World titles with less. I don't know what modern regulations are but when I watched rallying Group A Sierras and the like were limited to 300 BHP.

Why on earth would anyone need a road car with 460bhp? :wacko:

Just about any mass produced car of the past 40 or 50 years (with the possible exception of the Fiat 126 and Citroen 2CV) will exceed the speed limits.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
The sad irony is that as we trundle towards gridlock the only thing you need is comfortable seats and an auto gearbox to save your left leg. Oh and AC to make the jams bearable on hot days.

Or you could take the train but my ordeal at the hands of poxy Northern Fail this morning getting back home from Leeds tells me I'd still rather take my chances with traffic .

tyred

Legendary Member
What's 'need' got to do with it?
What car do you use?
I have an 1100cc Peugeot.

It's modest 60bhp will get me to my destination in the same time that a 460bhp car will unless you are prepared to break a few laws.

No doubt the 460bhp car will have all sorts of driving aids and electronics to keep the driver out of trouble and flatter him/her into believing they have the driving skills of Lewis Hamilton when quite frankly they don't.

I am not anti high performance cars and have driven and enjoyed a few in my time but the power available in some cars now is just simply too much to be used safely in a public place by unskilled drivers.

screenman

Legendary Member

There are also a lot of people who live a millionaire lifestyle who are actually skint.

screenman

Legendary Member

Have you seen Bill Gates house, only worth $125,000,000. From a quick google.

screenman

Legendary Member

My bil is a retired dustman who happens to be close to being a millionaire, with his pension lot he likely is.

Top Bottom