Mercedes cars - what a disappointment!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
What about them? The question is rather non specific.
Were they missed by Toyota’s QC or the fault of a third party supplier too? Just interested

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
The other issue my 2017 E Class had was closing the bonnet. Granted it was a huge piece of metal. Due to the size of it, it had 2 catches one at either side instead of just one central one like most cars. To shut it, you had to slam it from a great height, and I mean SLAM. If you didn't an alarm would go off, as only one of the catches would make On the first occasion I couldn't get it to shut after numerous attempts, and suffered that alarm for 40 miles, driving me insane, thinking it must have a fault (as it's a quality Benz...). When I got to work somebody had a look and you could see it slightly moving at one side. So he just lifted it and slammed the sh1t out of it and the catch was made. It wasn't my car so that is just what I did every time I added washer fluid or oil, as it used some oil. If it was not a company car I'd be livid, then again if I had 43K to spend on car, I think that car wouldn't even get on the list...

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The other issue my 2017 E Class had was closing the bonnet. Granted it was a huge piece of metal. Due to the size of it, it had 2 catches one at either side instead of just one central one like most cars. To shut it, you had to slam it from a great height, and I mean SLAM. If you didn't an alarm would go off, as only one of the catches would make On the first occasion I couldn't get it to shut after numerous attempts, and suffered that alarm for 40 miles, driving me insane, thinking it must have a fault (as it's a quality Benz...). When I got to work somebody had a look and you could see it slightly moving at one side. So he just lifted it and slammed the sh1t out of it and the catch was made. It wasn't my car so that is just what I did every time I added washer fluid or oil, as it used some oil. If it was not a company car I'd be livid, then again if I had 43K to spend on car, I think that car wouldn't even get on the list...
If I had £43k, I certainly wouldn't spend it on a car.

Were they missed by Toyota’s QC or the fault of a third party supplier too? Just interested

It is not as easy as that. It is very hard to replicate the conditions that parts of any vehicle go through day to day. What may be fine in say the uk, may not be in Australia, different conditions, different roads, tarmac etc can all make one part of a car prone to wear and failure.
Some recalls may be for a failure that has only occured once, in a one off situation that mmay never happen again, but because (for example) set the car on fire, the car will berecalled to fix the fault (Unless you are Vauxhall and need loads of heaters to set on fire before you will acknowledge there is a problem)
Car paint is tested for 7 years before it is used, so that they can do real world testing, not just accelerated wear testing. The manufacturers try to predict what will be in fashion, as although the paint can be tested, different pigments could cause a failure. now multiply that for every component and you can see why some things slip through testing.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
There's also the degree to which the manufacturers care which is linked to money. Examples are Ford ignoring the known problems with the petrol tank in the Pinto because it would cost too much to set right. Or Dulux advertising that a paint will last 12 years "or your money back" knowing it will last 5 years tops but the cost of refunds will be less than the value of increased sales.

And that was the point i was trying to make, the Japanese probably care more about their product and image, so they have more recalls.

Of the top 8 cars in the what car? most reliable cars, 6 are Japanese. The other 2 are an Audi and a Seat.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I had a go in a £90k Range rover last Sunday.

It was a lovely car (2l Diesel with electric assist, 460bhp) BUT cost as much as our house did!.

Can't imagine having that sort of money in a car, but as screenman says it's all relative..

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
No, I wouldn't waste any money on a big swinging-dick Alpha male car, new or used. I simply wouldnt want anybody to think I was such a shallow person that I needed a big car to make me look good. I once had a colleague who aspired to having a chalet on The Warren at Abersoch where, in his words: "People are nice, they drive BMWs, Mercedes, Audis and so on." He was embarrassed that his company car was a poxy little Golf and told me: "I won't be happy until I've got a Beemer on my drive." He went to tell the boss what he wanted and the boss said: "You get the same car as all the others. If you don't like it, there's the door." So my colleague walked, got himself a job at a competitor and got the BMW M Series he so craved. Subsequently he paid £95,000 for an old chalet on The Warren that was due for replacement then another £45,000 for the new chalet. What a pillock.

Slick

Guru
No, I wouldn't waste any money on a big swinging-dick Alpha male car, new or used. I simply wouldnt want anybody to think I was such a shallow person that I needed a big car to make me look good. I once had a colleague who aspired to having a chalet on The Warren at Abersoch where, in his words: "People are nice, they drive BMWs, Mercedes, Audis and so on." He was embarrassed that his company car was a poxy little Golf and told me: "I won't be happy until I've got a Beemer on my drive." He went to tell the boss what he wanted and the boss said: "You get the same car as all the others. If you don't like it, there's the door." So my colleague walked, got himself a job at a competitor and got the BMW M Series he so craved. Subsequently he paid £95,000 for an old chalet on The Warren that was due for replacement then another £45,000 for the new chalet. What a pillock.
I don't get why any of that makes him a pillock. Was it the fact he went after a better job with better perks or the fact he now has the chalet that he always wanted?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
But if you had £2,000,000 you might be more tempted.
To be honest, no. I am quite happy and would be quite happy with a normal priced car. If I had that sort of money, I would help my own kids first. Very expensive cars are just a status symbol, look at me type of people. Not for me.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to enjoy driving my Land Rover 90 because it made you invisible as it didn't rank anywhere in the big car hierarchy. That's the reason why the Great Train Robbers made off slowly in an old 109" Land Rover and were ignored by the Police rushing to the scene.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

I had a friend at a company I worked at for whom image was everything - Mont Blanc pen in a leather case at meetings, Versace folio case etc. We were given a budget to choose our cars from and most went for Insignias and the like (I had a great Astra Estate with a big engine and all the extras before getting a Hyundai i40). But she wanted an Audi, any Audi. Eventually she discovered she could get a bare bones A1 (or A3, I can't remember) on our budget so that's what she plumped for. It was horrible - underpowered on the motorways, uncomfortable with basic seats and with absolutely no extras - analogue radio, no aircon, no cruise control, no fog lights, no automatic anything. She loved it because she got an Audi-badged key which she made sure to leave on show at meetings.

screenman

Legendary Member
To be honest, no. I am quite happy and would be quite happy with a normal priced car. If I had that sort of money, I would help my own kids first. Very expensive cars are just a status symbol, look at me type of people. Not for me.

To be honest unless you have that sort of money you have no idea of what you would do with it, why have a colour tv when black and white will do, why have 3 bedrooms when 1 will do, it is only willy waiving in certain peoples minds not all. I can tell you it is a lot nicer travelling in an Audi A8 than a Trabant. You have to be careful helping kids, it is possible to help them too much.

Top Bottom