Mercedes cars - what a disappointment!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
All dead as a result,of Mercedes!

Hitler, suicide because his Merc broke down again.

Mussolini, shot by angry cyclists and hung by his heels.

Marcos, murdered by Extinction Rebellion for polluting the air with his 600 Grosser.

Pinochet, died of old age with a Mercedes picnic rug over his legs.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
All dead as a result,of Mercedes!

Hitler, suicide because his Merc broke down again.

Mussolini, shot by angry cyclists and hung by his heels.

Marcos, murdered by Extinction Rebellion for polluting the air with his 600 Grosser.

Pinochet, died of old age with a Mercedes picnic rug over his legs.
Mussolini drove an Audi, then?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's because they are all dead & no longer need a car
Are you sure? Mugabe had one for his final trip!

download (1).jpeg

She won’t entertain BMW because of the knobs that sell them.
Rather curiously, I called at the local Skoda dealer, whilst I was out on the CGR on Tuesday, to enquire about a new service book (as mine will be full at the next service)
Some lad (mid-late 20s?) came to me, after simply looking at me, standing by the door, waiting with the bike
"Yes, mate!?"
I had expected, at least; "Good morning, can I help you?"

Interesting comments. Maybe I've been spoiled by spending the last 12 years or so driving Passat estates, the B6, the B7 and now the B8 with wonderful DSG. The car pootles along on tickover and you can pull away smoothly with bags of power and no screaming revs, the interior is sober, simple and intuitive and you sit high with a light cabin and plenty of glass around you. There's good reason why it's the best selling mid-sized saloon and popular with taxi drivers.
Likewise, with my Octavia
(re-mapped, 1.6Tdi)

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I follow a guy on Youtube who's been a mechanic for 50 years. According to him (I have little personal experience) Merc, BMW and VW's are not the well-built machines they used to be. He only rates Honda, Toyota and Lexus now. I didn't surprise me that nearly every Honda Civic I looked at for sale had more than 100k miles on. For me, that's a sign that people keep them and put trouble-free miles on them.

My ex had a Merc A-class. I didn't like it, it looked like a space ship inside and she had to scrap it at 80k miles because the automatic gearbox went bang

Reactions: gbb
Mrs OFT has been driving a C220d for the last 3 years and she absolutely loathes it, mainly because she finds the seat excruciating on any trips longer than an hour. Only 12 months left on the lease, so she’s looking at the company car list for her next choice.
Front runner at the moment is the Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav + Auto.
Loaded with useful toys, and will pull our caravan with ease (and it’s comfortable).
I had one of these when they first appeared and loved it.
She won’t entertain BMW because of the knobs that sell them, and the cocks that drive them.
Sir, I am not a cock, alas I did buy from a knob.
Yours
G Fondo esq

gbb

Legendary Member
I follow a guy on Youtube who's been a mechanic for 50 years. According to him (I have little personal experience) Merc, BMW and VW's are not the well-built machines they used to be. He only rates Honda, Toyota and Lexus now. I didn't surprise me that nearly every Honda Civic I looked at for sale had more than 100k miles on. For me, that's a sign that people keep them and put trouble-free miles on them.

My ex had a Merc A-class. I didn't like it, it looked like a space ship inside and she had to scrap it at 80k miles because the automatic gearbox went bang
I suspect ive seen the same videos. My son IL is a qualified garage mechanic, my Polish colleague is a many years experienced mechanic who loves his German cars, particually Mercs and i've heard from many other (particually US) youtubers, and many agree, German cars just aint what they used to be. Overpriced, over complex, unreliable in some cases and will bankrupt you with the high end models when/ if they go wrong.

gbb

Legendary Member
Rather curiously, I called at the local Skoda dealer, whilst I was out on the CGR on Tuesday, to enquire about a new service book (as mine will be full at the next service)
Some lad (mid-late 20s?) came to me, after simply looking at me, standing by the door, waiting with the bike
"Yes, mate!?"
I had expected, at least; "Good morning, can I help you?"
..........)

That's because he saw you on a bike and realised you're not an up yourself nobber. I'd take it as a compliment :okay:^_^

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I suspect ive seen the same videos. My son IL is a qualified garage mechanic, my Polish colleague is a many years experienced mechanic who loves his German cars, particually Mercs and i've heard from many other (particually US) youtubers, and many agree, German cars just aint what they used to be. Overpriced, over complex, unreliable in some cases and will bankrupt you with the high end models when/ if they go wrong.

My company run Passats which are fine but because my wife is in a wheelchair they broke with their policy and got me a Touran. It's ok but it has a really annoying flaw built in. The rear tyres scrub off the inside shoulder and after about 15k the noise is appalling, sounds like worn bearings. I complained a few times to the dealership and they always said nothing was wrong but then one of their mechanics confided that it's because the rear suspension geometry is set up to make it corner better at the expense of the tyre. There's no way around it other than rotating tyres front to back every 10,000 miles to minimise the pain.

Pretty shoddy imo.

That's because he saw you on a bike and realised you're not an up yourself nobber. I'd take it as a compliment :okay:^_^
Maybe an inverse compliment, but not good manners, towards a potential customer surely?

My company run Passats which are fine but because my wife is in a wheelchair they broke with their policy and got me a Touran. It's ok but it has a really annoying flaw built in. The rear tyres scrub off the inside shoulder and after about 15k the noise is appalling, sounds like worn bearings. I complained a few times to the dealership and they always said nothing was wrong but then one of their mechanics confided that it's because the rear suspension geometry is set up to make it corner better at the expense of the tyre. There's no way around it other than rotating tyres front to back every 10,000 miles to minimise the pain.

Pretty shoddy imo.

My Octavia was the same on the original tyres; Dunlop SP Sport , they 'castellated' (wear on alternate blocks - like the stonework on a turret) & sounded awful

Top Bottom