Mercedes cars - what a disappointment!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I had a 2017 E Class Estate E220D AMG Line as a company car. I don't know why I got that, as it's above my pay grade. For a 43K car it was really average. I've always had Japanese cars that I bought around 6 years old. I certainly wasn't blown away by a Merc in any shape or form. It was comfortable, the drivers seat is the best I have been in for comfort, although a Nissan Navara is very close. It was reasonably quick for the size of it, handled fairly well for a big car, but it was just lifeless, no feeling in the steering at all. The ride wasn't great with the Pirelli run-flats. The rear ones did about 11,000 miles and they had totally had it, £275 a corner. It had a really bad squeak from the rear parcel cover. The only way I could stop it was getting a piece of packing material from the stores at work and stuffing it in-between the cover and it's mounting. It was also horrendous to park and hard to judge it's mammoth size, I kerbed one of the massive wheels.

I've also been in an A Class, a 2017 and I just didn't get that car at all. It was no better than an Astra to me. Really cheap looking dash, the newer ones are better. The owner of the car totalled a wheel in a pothole, and used the MB SOS service. This was an AMG line so had flash alloys, it was £1250 for a new alloy and tyre off MB, fortunately the council paid up.

I think these cars, like most German cars are sold on image. I'd imagine a Skoda Superb is a better car than a lowish model E-Class. I now have a 2018 Golf GTD, it's a way, way better car than the E-Class, in every department. More so as I don't need the space of such a huge car. It's a lot better built. It certainly doesn't set your soul on fire, but it's reasonably quick, comfortable and handles pretty well. The steering has little feedback at all, but I've found that with a lot of electric power steering cars I've driven, plus I used to have an MX5, you kind of feel every single thing that is going on with one of those, due it's size and complex suspension setup (Mk3 NC) I'd imagine that a Focus ST is a better drive than a Golf GTD/GTI, but possibly not as comfortable or as well built. If I was buying privately, I'd get a Skoda Octavia VRS, as it looks identical, except for the boot, cheaper also. But then again I'd probably get a Kia or Hyundai, or possibly a Toyota instead, as I'd imagine they are more reliable than any of the German cars and "prestige" branding means little to me though, as in my experience it's a bit of a fallacy. Could be wrong though..

keithmac

Guru
Not heard a good word said about Mercedes cars recently!.

As said you cannot go wrong with anything Japanese built, car or motorcycle wise.

Simon1234

Über Member
Have a 12 plate e class cabriolet and it is a solid car with no problems in 3 years. They are over engineered according to mechanic, and do well in reliability surveys. But had a c class hire car recently and definitely a step backwards in quality and NVH. Looked at c class cab recently and poor interior. Push the button assembly and it moves, and plastics are cheap. For 40k new! So the accountants have taken over again. But no way am going near a VAG product and so narrows the field...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been impressed with my lads Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo (current model). We got it for a good price as it's got nearly 70k on it (4 years old) but it's got everything in it and will do over 55mpg despite the fact it's bloody quick (1.2 turbo petrol), although the suspension and tyres are too hard for me.

We have Nissans, and I've been really happy with the reliability - I'd happily buy a used 370Z. Their small cars aren't great at present (other than the new Micra) so we got the Fabia for my son.

Some of these fancy dashboards don't work though - why have everything on a digital display that is affected by sunlight

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have a 12 plate e class cabriolet and it is a solid car with no problems in 3 years. They are over engineered according to mechanic, and do well in reliability surveys. But had a c class hire car recently and definitely a step backwards in quality and NVH. Looked at c class cab recently and poor interior. Push the button assembly and it moves, and plastics are cheap. For 40k new! So the accountants have taken over again. But no way am going near a VAG product and so narrows the field...

Skoda ! Cheaper, but seem much more reliable. Yes there are some cheaper plastics in it than the VW.

Simon1234

Über Member
Yes, we had 2 Skoda roomsters. For the bikes - they have an interior bike rack. First one needed a new gearbox at 60k outside of warrantee. 2.5 k repair. Second had a water leak and was 1.5k repair under warantee. All Audi drivers I know have had major issues inside 3 years. German reliability is a myth.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have to walk 15 mins into work (since my m/bike was stolen), it's in BD9 which is German car city. I park up my 2002 Ford and go boggle eyed as I walk past far newer VAG cars rusty as hell, it's always VAG cars that I notice. There are a lot of E46 coupes, all rusted up wings, Passats bubbled up, an V6 Audi a convertible, 05 or 06, has holes that you can poke your fingers through on both front wings, how much was that car new £35/40K, blimey!

I do not work on older cars, certainly those around 14 years old have a problem. After market panels fitted to older cars do not last long either.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would add that Japanese cars are not as reliable as they once were. Material and paint quality along with many engine problems have changed my opinion of them, looking for a Fabia at the moment as a second car after many years of having Japanese vehicles for that purpose, the current Mazda is breeding rust.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I would add that Japanese cars are not as reliable as they once were. Material and paint quality along with many engine problems have changed my opinion of them, looking for a Fabia at the moment as a second car after many years of having Japanese vehicles for that purpose, the current Mazda is breeding rust.
I've had a few Toyotas and they have been reliable, but I agree that, like most cars now they are becoming much less solidly built than the older ones. No doubt everything is so lightweight and plasticy to get the weight down to boost their mpg figures, but personally, I would rather have a few mpg less and have a more substantial car.

I asked the garage I go to for servicing about car reliability and he still rates the Toyotas though.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've had a few Toyotas and they have been reliable, but I agree that, like most cars now they are becoming much less solidly built than the older ones. No doubt everything is so lightweight and plasticy to get the weight down to boost their mpg figures, but personally, I would rather have a few mpg less and have a more substantial car.

I asked the garage I go to for servicing about car reliability and he still rates the Toyotas though.

I used to rate Toyota's up until the Avensis is replaced the Carina, does your mechanic work on new Toyota's the techs I know that do are not happy, as there seems like most makes they have many hard to find faults.

CharlesF

Guru
This is all you need
upload_2019-9-14_7-2-10.jpeg

Top Bottom