Mercian Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garygkn

Hi, a Mercian Audax has clearance for 28c tyres with guards would this be ample for most audax riding or would a King of Mercia be better for rides of 100 miles max? I don't wish to carry camping gear etc so my first thoughts were with the Mercian Audax.

mercurykev

My audax bike runs 25mm tyres and it is comfortable for rides up to 600km. A lot of people I ride with use 23mm, so clearance for 28mm tyres would be fine.

boydj

Legendary Member
I have a Mercian Audax - 1995 vintage. I put 25's on it and the front gets some rubbing from the mudguard under braking. I doubt if it could take 28's. I find the geometry to be closer to racing than touring, and the clearances are built for 23's which will be the standard delivered on the bike.

jimboalee

I Audax on 23mm Conti UltraGatorskins.

If a tyre is good enough for 1 mile down a road, it will be good enough for 200 in a day.

Unless it's completely worn treadless and you can see the canvas, in which case you would be a blinding fool to start an Audax on it.

Maverick75

boydj said:
I have a Mercian Audax - 1995 vintage. I put 25's on it and the front gets some rubbing from the mudguard under braking. I doubt if it could take 28's. I find the geometry to be closer to racing than touring, and the clearances are built for 23's which will be the standard delivered on the bike.

OTOH I have a Mercian Audax 2006 vintage and run 28's quite happily - Conti 4 seasons. The mudguards did require careful setting up and it does also need long drop brakes. Gives a very comfy ride if a little (but not much) slower. Edit: For the OP - I have found this to be a perfect audax bike up to 300km - over the next few weeks I'll find out what it is like over 400 and 600km. I also have a 1976 King of Mercia touring but haven't ridden that on an audax (yet) but its limited gearing would be a problem for me.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
garygkn said:
Hi, a Mercian Audax has clearance for 28c tyres with guards would this be ample for most audax riding or would a King of Mercia be better for rides of 100 miles max? I don't wish to carry camping gear etc so my first thoughts were with the Mercian Audax.

I tour and audax on 28mm tyres so I'd not worry about the adequacy of 28mm tyres for audaxing.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Top tip ..... from the lofty heights of someone who has done precisely one 100k Audax:smile::

Pick the lightest bike. And don't put any "luggage" on it. As the ride wears on you'll really feel the weight of a saddlebag full of those "just in case" items.

Maverick75

porkypete said:
Top tip ..... from the lofty heights of someone who has done precisely one 100k Audax:smile::

Pick the lightest bike.

I'd always pick the most comfortable bike - you can live with discomfort on a 100km or even 200km but get beyond that and I'd always sacrifice speed for comfort.

Top Bottom