Mercian singlespeed town bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
Got this frame on its way to me soon. Going to be a single speed conversion when I'm done with it.

It's a Mercian.

p4pb8497682.jpg

Guy who owns it has resprayed it though with graffiti paint, so he's going to give it a quick respray in luminous yellow for me.

Got a couple of questions.

What bars would you all say I should use? I was thinking risers, as it's just for going around town.

And gear ratio? I'm going to be cruising more than anything. So what ratio would be best?

Psyclist.

screenman

Legendary Member
I cannot tell you what to spec it with, I can say though Pongo who built that frame was a well respected frame builder, he made a couple of road bikes and a very nice mountain bike for us, all in his back room.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
I cannot tell you what to spec it with, I can say though Pongo who built that frame was a well respected frame builder, he made a couple of road bikes and a very nice mountain bike for us, all in his back room.

I might get it resprayed professionally and make it a nice conversion if it's a better bike than I thought. I can get it done by my brother who's a professional spray painter for a pack of beers, so all good on that end.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
i think (unfortunatley) that you will need the security. best of luck with the restoration

edit: i like the racing green - did try to get my dawes sprayed in it but didnt want to spend a fortune at the time

Unfortunately the owner had a go at graffiti painting it so it looks like this at the moment.

aende-single-speed-project-9865_1.jpg

Thegiantpeanut

Gear ratio for around town would be 44,18 or 42,17, that is if your going single speed. If this is going to be fixed gear then you can get away with a higher gear like 44,16.
In terms of bars, it's personal preference, flats or risers should be easy. If you want drops then I suggest these http://www.roseversand.com/article/rose-racing-handlebar-race-attack-compact/aid:488454
Modern compact road bar but with clamp size for quill stem.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Gear ratio for around town would be 44,18 or 42,17, that is if your going single speed. If this is going to be fixed gear then you can get away with a higher gear like 44,16.
In terms of bars, it's personal preference, flats or risers should be easy. If you want drops then I suggest these http://www.roseversand.com/article/rose-racing-handlebar-race-attack-compact/aid:488454
Modern compact road bar but with clamp size for quill stem.

Thanks. It will be single speed so I'll consider those ratios. And my friend (who has it at the moment) suggested compacts too, so I'll definitely consider some.

Alex.

Star Strider

I would shell out for a proper respray in the cherry red.

The lugwork - well the seat clamp matches the one on my fixed and the drop outs look like campags, a replacement frame like that from a current fabricator of shiney things will set you back maybe £600 for just the bare frame.

It's not an unbutted 501 hack IMHO.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
I would shell out for a proper respray in the cherry red.

The lugwork - well the seat clamp matches the one on my fixed and the drop outs look like campags, a replacement frame like that from a current fabricator of shiney things will set you back maybe £600 for just the bare frame.

It's not an unbutted 501 hack IMHO.

Thanks. My brother is a qualified painter, so he'll do a great job of it no doubt. It's going to look snazzy, but I'll have two Kryptonites to lock it up with too. I'll get some close up pics of the frame once it's mine (next week too)

Plans for it are:

-Turbo saddle (brown)
-Brooks leather tape (brown)
-FSA Gimondi Single Speed chainset (retro style) Or Andel chainset.
-Izumi chain.
-Tektro - RL340 levers with brown hoods.
-Cinelli retro drop bars.
-Silver retro style flipflop hub wheels.
-Panaracer Pasela tan walled tyres.
-Retro seatpost.

Thanks. My brother is a qualified painter, so he'll do a great job of it no doubt. It's going to look snazzy, but I'll have two Kryptonites to lock it up with too. I'll get some close up pics of the frame once it's mine (next week too)

Plans for it are:

-Turbo saddle (brown)
-Brooks leather tape (brown)
-FSA Gimondi Single Speed chainset (retro style) Or Andel chainset.
-Izumi chain.
-Tektro - RL340 levers with brown hoods.
-Cinelli retro drop bars.
-Silver retro style flipflop hub wheels.
-Panaracer Pasela tan walled tyres.
-Retro seatpost.

i am looking forward to seeing this

Top Bottom