Mercian singlespeed town bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
That wants a lot more prep before you put any paint on it, in the trade we would say it looks like it has been rubbed down with a house brick.

Do not spoil the barrel and all that.
I tend to agree knowing the quality of the frame, I think it would be worth having it shot blasted first.

Star Strider

Cable guides along the top tube are gen 531 frames
Thats strange as mine is 531 and the rear brake cable guides are underneath the top tube, it's doesnt have any others as it was built to take a band on. Many frames have them elsewhere, some have the cable guides on the sides of the headtube for instance.

The raw material is 531 butted tubing, it's then up to the builder as to where they braze on the guides.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
looks good

That wants a lot more prep before you put any paint on it, in the trade we would say it looks like it has been rubbed down with a house brick.

Do not spoil the barrel and all that.
I tend to agree knowing the quality of the frame, I think it would be worth having it shot blasted first.

My brother is painting it but he's a qualified painter so he'll prep it properly.

jim55

Guru
Thats strange as mine is 531 and the rear brake cable guides are underneath the top tube, it's doesnt have any others as it was built to take a band on. Many frames have them elsewhere, some have the cable guides on the sides of the headtube for instance.

The raw material is 531 butted tubing, it's then up to the builder as to where they braze on the guides.
yeah true ,but evry bike iv seen with the guides along the top tube like that have been 531 ,theres obv exceptions to this but by and large id guess 531

jim55

Guru
anyway ,lovely looking lug work and detailing ,it looks very similiar to the colnago "shamrock "logo ,is this something similiar ?

jim55

Guru
It's 531c, so you're right Jim.
thought so:thumbsup: ,i had a 531c frame and being a total div i sold it for 60 quid ,if im honest the guides along the top tube kinda made me think of hitting the brakes/sliding of the saddle and sliding/tearing your undercarriage along them ,if i had a frame similiar to it now id get the braze ons repositioned and painted ,it was a lovely light (very )frame as well:banghead::rofl:

jim55

Guru
It's 531c, so you're right Jim.
thought so:thumbsup: ,i had a 531c frame and being a total div i sold it for 60 quid ,if im honest the guides along the top tube kinda made me think of hitting the brakes/sliding of the saddle and sliding/tearing your undercarriage along them ,if i had a frame similiar to it now id get the braze ons repositioned and painted ,it was a lovely light (very )frame as well:banghead::rofl:

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
anyway ,lovely looking lug work and detailing ,it looks very similiar to the colnago "shamrock "logo ,is this something similiar ?

I'm not too sure about the Colnago bit tbh, and I hope the brake cable doesn't mess things up! It is lighter than I expected too.Lighter than my 4130 chromo Macinato f+f.

Also, do I need cable clamps for the cable on the t/t??

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'm not too sure about the Colnago bit tbh, and I hope the brake cable doesn't mess things up! It is lighter than I expected too.Lighter than my 4130 chromo Macinato f+f.

Also, do I need cable clamps for the cable on the t/t??
no use the guides , and should be about 2-3 kg for good frame set

HovR

Über Member
yeah true ,but evry bike iv seen with the guides along the top tube like that have been 531 ,theres obv exceptions to this but by and large id guess 531

Correct in this instance, but I'd suggest it's not a fool-proof identification method. My 501 Peugeot has top-tube guides like this.

Looks like you've scored yourself an excellent frame there Psyclist - Looking forward to seeing the end product!

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a 653 frame with them on top. The builder puts them where the customer wants them on a genuine made to order.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Got my Athena headset cleaned and took the paint which got stuck on it off.

p4pb9278062.jpg

Giro D'Italia Cinelli bars and stem.

p4pb9280955.jpg

p4pb9280956.jpg

Cheap wheels and tyres which are temporary so I can ride for the time being.

p4pb9281066.jpg

MKS Touring pedals which will have foot retention soon.

p4pb9281143.jpg

And Turbo saddle :thumbsup:

p4pb9281144.jpg

More stuff on their way and get the frame back this weekend.

Top Bottom