Merlin cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
I see the OP couldn't be arsed updating this thread, I would guess any issue has been resolved. I bought a bike from Merlin less than a month ago and dealt with Gemma mentioned above, in resolving an issue I had prior to delivery. She was brilliant couldn't have been more helpful.
Don't you just love these posters who love to name and shame and then just clear off.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I can't speak for the OP, but this was the approach I adopted. I checked with 7 of my neighbours, searched the locale, visited the sorting office, phoned the sorting office, phoned RM customer service 7 times, emailed RM 4 times, phoned Merlin and emailed Merlin customer service 5 times. I didn't ask for a refund until 5 weeks later. Merlin were not willing to start a claim with Royal Mail, even though Royal Mail said they were happy for Merlin to start a claim! When
Merlin made it clear they were not going to assist, I had to deal with the RM Escalation Team.

Eventually, I was able to see the GPS delivery data and it appeared the package was delivered to a car park space or hedge approx. 10m for my house. RM have told me a cheque is in the post but I've heard that before. I'll check the hedge tomorrow...

The cheque finally arrived today after a further phone call and email to RM. This whole sorry saga has taken nearly three months to resolve. Royal Mail have been abysmal - institutionally incompetent. They have invited me to pursue a case with the Postal Review Panel but I have no intention of doing so as dealing with their customer service and escalation team has left me catatonic and I would rather eat my own toenails.

Merlin 4/10
Royal Mail 0.5/10 (They get half a mark as most of the staff I dealt with were polite)

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Just for a bit of balance on this thread. I ordered a pair of Northwave shoes on Tuesday afternoon (26/11/19) and they arrived today (28/11/19) at about mid-day. I had ticked the Royal Mail free 48 hour delivery and that is exactly what I got.

Having worked in retail all my life I am only too aware that people are quick to have a go when an "error" happens but are slow to praise the many times things " just work"

I have lost count of the amount of people who "know" more about my job than I do despite them having never worked in the industry.

This is true and in the interest of balance...

I thought twice about ordering from Merlin again, but a great Black Friday offer was too good to resist. Order placed on Monday, dispatched on Tuesday, arrived on Thursday. Shimano items were OEM which was not mentioned on the website and the packaging was a bit a basic, but given the bargainous price the former was not a surprise and the latter was not an issue as the items were not damaged. Merlin 8/10.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW, I've had two purchases over the past 18 months and two products that were not fit for purpose or not as described. Return of first item was a pain and left me out of pocket, the 2nd (and old-spec but NOS tool that was a lot cheaper than everywhere else due to its age so worth another punt IMO) was resolved quickly with a partial refund (not that there should have been an issue in the first place).

Ultimately, not at all impressed and won't be using them again.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
What was your first item just out of interest?
A pair of cycling shoes that were known for the issue I returned them for (and was even mentioned a few times on the reviews on their own site) but they still argued the toss and were pretty obstructive and dismissive throughout the whole returns process. I ended up having to foot the bill for the return postage too (which I believe should have been at the retailer's cost in the case of defective goods). Also, I submitted a measured and respectful review of the shoes to their site (in the interest of helping others avoid falling into the same trap as I did) - surprise, surprise it never got published.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've recently brought two Altura Airstream cycle jackets from Merlin, on sale at half price, ordered on a Monday and delivered on the following Thursday, straight forward no problems.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Why does it even matter if it's OEM?

It usually makes no difference. That said, the only two Shimano items I have received damaged were both OEM and that's because they were not very well packaged by the retailer. For the avoidance of any doubt, given the thread title, neither item was dispatched by Merlin.

I just bought a continental GP 5000 tyre from merlin.It wasn't any cheaper than any of it's rivals but i have always had good service from merlin and the shipping is free over twenty pounds.
When it came it was wrapped in bubble wrap and no box so OEM. Was i bothered it didn't come in a fancy box?no because i could see it was brand new with the strapping around it.
With regards to evans cycle i don't usually buy anything from them now since they put there shipping costs up.

mrcunning

Über Member
On defence of Merlin i presume they get a few who will be trying it on and to be quick to try and make a buck..My advice is dont blame merlin blame the unhonest folks around who've made them question your dispute..Only gripe ive had with Merlin is i brought a groupset from them,and it was missing the plastic bit that screws on the crankshaft, i sent them a email and nothing..just left a sour taste in my pert mouth for awhile..

Top Bottom