merry christmas mr burglar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
Break ins can have such devastating affects. Gary Windass took a cricket bat beating from Roy Cropper after he broke into his cafe the other day,now Roy's up on ABH charges!
been googling for the last 10 minutes and still not totally sure if this is just in coronation street or real life?
Cheers Ed

Hope your son gets his stuff back and they find the idiot who broke in. People are right about the emotional side of having it happen. You have so many memories and experiences wrapped up in your stuff that it feels like getting a kicking when it happens...also never really feel that it's totally safe anymore.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Most stuff is worth a bag of brown or a tenner to most burglars..2k bike or a 2k camera makes no difference to them.
We get the odd spate of burglaries in the area until they get put away for a few months..usually just 1 or 2 at it.
amazing how many leave windows open downstairs..

byegad

Legendary Member
In our street earlier this year there was a spate of break-ins. First allotment sheds, then a few houses. Some of the locals identified the miscreant, an incomer parachuted into the village as he'd been 'asked to leave' his last abode due to break-ins. After a short but bloody conversation they not only persuaded him to leave, but also miraculously identified that all of the stolen gear was in a friend of the thief's house also in our street. Another short and bloody conversation resulted in a hurried departure from house number two of the day and then the Police turned up and emptied house number 2 of the stolen gear.
Not in any way lawful, but damn effective!

young Ed

Veteran
amazing how many leave windows open downstairs..
depends where you are and what house you're in, our house is in no way visible from any road or other public place (eg. footpath, park, library etc) and we quite happily leave windows open and front door open when we are about but then again good luck trying to get into our house considering it is a small (no larger than a large mobile home) bungalow and there is almost always someone in the house along with a dog that will tell us of anyone and there is often up to 8 people about.
if i lived in a housing estate or in a street of houses or so then it would be very different

then my nan and grandad out in Sweden quite happily leave cars unlocked and front door open with every window they can find open, they live in the middle of no where with anyone with a mile of them be very close friends or family and in over 75 years of living there my grandad has never known a criminal/burglar to set foot on his land :smile:
Cheers Ed

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
On my aunts farm the postman used to just walk in and leave the post on the table if they weren't in the house, now they tend to lock the door and the one key is left in the outside loo for everyone to let themselves in as they need to.

My parents front door isn't locked (during the day when they are in) and you could just walk up and let yourself in. As they grow a little older I'm a little more worried about that one as they live on the outskirts of London, but still have that farm mentality when it comes to doors!

At my old house I used to leave the front door wide open if in the house in summer, and the postman used to shout hello as he chucked the post through the door, but it was in a quiet cul-de-sac.

Bad luck to your son though, is he insured? Though that doesn't get over the feeling over being broken into (yes the old house was broken into but when we were out and hadn't left lights on, which I always do now).

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
That's just sh*t @Licramite

Must move that ladder that's leaning on the wall outside :rolleyes:

Our front door is unlocked during the day until bedtime. Postie will open it to deliver parcels and then close behind him. Family and (some) friends come and go during the day.

Had my garden shed burgled and petrol hedge trimmer nicked (I'd forgotten to lock the shed :blush:) . They also got into the garage through a window. Such a mess (mine) in the garage they gave up. So bikes were OK. Insurance provided a replacement hedge trimmer.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I had a couple of chancers on my property last night. 00.30 and the dog starts barking and then the security light from next door goes on. I let the dog out and two teenage hoodie types leg it over the fence and away before they could break in. The Police were called by my neighbour, but they were gone. Nothing taken fortunately. Commiserations to your son.

Tin Pot

Guru
Sorry to hear your bad news.

Had a bloke come around begging. Knocked on my door around spring time, was down from Manchester in London. Got a twenty off my mate.

I was quite surprised. Better than stealing I suppose though I doubt they're exclusive activities.

young Ed

Veteran
I had a couple of chancers on my property last night. 00.30 and the dog starts barking and then the security light from next door goes on. I let the dog out and two teenage hoodie types leg it over the fence and away before they could break in. The Police were called by my neighbour, but they were gone. Nothing taken fortunately. Commiserations to your son.
good on you, you did the right thing. what breed are the dogs? i know most burglars couldn't care less about couple of chihuahua's but would shoot a brick and run a mile for a couple of alsation's/german shepard's

to be fair i think i would have been out with our lab on them and my walking stick and a very bright torch to see them off the land!
Cheers Ed

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
good on you, you did the right thing. what breed are the dogs? i know most burglars couldn't care less about couple of chihuahua's but would shoot a brick and run a mile for a couple of alsation's/german shepard's

to be fair i think i would have been out with our lab on them and my walking stick and a very bright torch to see them off the land!
Cheers Ed

She is a three year old Border Collie, Very soft, but sounds the part when someone is on her property. She chased a burglar away over the next door neighbours fence back in August when they had actually got into the shed, trying to get mine and my son's bikes.

S6000701.JPG

Spartak