Message to bike thieves - when you get caught, blame the police!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Well, to anyone who has a tiny bit of sympathy for the thief, who I add wasn't forced, intimidated, coerced or paid to break the law I can only say I hope you have as much sympathy for the thief who steals your property [whatever it may be] simply because you forgot to lock it / bolt it to the ground, and the next time we see a video on U tube of "bicycle thieves in action" instead of ranting at the police try and see the criminals side, after all if it's not locked up tight it's not stealing is it ? They didn't make an error of judgement, not see a sign or do it accidentaly. They knew they were stealing and did it anyway.

Big boy

I was left disgusted, i know the police do a dificult job but come on...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A quick search online for the judge shows he likes gardening. As he fervently believes in the finders keepers approach to theft, I think he should start padlocking the flowers in his front garden from now on. Because we're perfectly entitled to appropriate his perennials.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
On the latter as I said before most people would expect to need to lock their bike and not be at all surprised at an unlocked bike being stolen. Therefore leaving an unlocked bike lying around would appear to be offering a temptation to commit a crime beyond what is normal.

I disagree with the judge's position.

According to Nottinghamshire Police's website "Half a million bikes are stolen in the UK each year. A bike is stolen in the UK every 71 seconds".

There is no statistic I can find for the number of bikes stolen while unsecured but even if it were as low as 10% of that figure (and I'd reckon it to be much higher) that's more than enough to make the likelihood of coming across an unlocked bike in the street not at all exceptional.

GC

GBC

Veteran
I disagree with the judge's position.

According to Nottinghamshire Police's website "Half a million bikes are stolen in the UK each year. A bike is stolen in the UK every 71 seconds".

There is no statistic I can find for the number of bikes stolen while unsecured but even if it were as low as 10% of that figure (and I'd reckon it to be much higher) that's more than enough to make the likelihood of coming across an unlocked bike in the street not at all exceptional.

GC

You're probably right there. If you accept the guidance quoted on Wiki, the Police didn't present other than an unexceptional opportunity to commit a crime. In the case quoted there, their lordships suggested various factors to take into account when considering entrapment, and none of them seem to be a bar in this case.

Crankarm

Guru
Some one call 999 - a judge has had his common sense stolen. What an ar$e. He is clearly totally detached from reality. Like the other idiot judge who commended a burgular for being brave. These people are totally clueless incompetents who bring law enforcement and the courts into disrepute.

Top Bottom