Met Office - another wrong forecast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Flying_Monkey said:
They should probably ease off on the long-range weather forecasting, which they will be the first to admit is pretty unreliable, but they probably know just a little bit more about weather than you. That's just my guess, of course. :laugh:

Hah hah, don't be so sure. Never miss an opportunity for a put down FM :sad:.

theloafer

Legendary Member
yep forcast rain here and it did half way round the darlington round 50 miler was my g/f first big ride ..:laugh:... she did so well 4hours and 10 mins..:sad:

wafflycat

Thunder, lightning & heavy rain kicked off in the last few minutes. If it's across Norfolk, those doing the Norwich 100 will be getting a bit damp. And it's very gloomy out there - I hope they have lights to use.

Wolf04

Flying_Monkey said:
They should probably ease off on the long-range weather forecasting, which they will be the first to admit is pretty unreliable, but they probably know just a little bit more about weather than you. That's just my guess, of course. :smile:

They however dismiss anyone questioning their climate change predictions as virtual heresy.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
live forecast at 16.10 06/06/10 from wellingborough , just started raining 10 mins ago for all of 3 mins , we need some more our water butts are running out and the garden is dry , why cant we just have rain at night

Glow worm

Legendary Member
With these types of conditions, when the atmosphere is unstable, it can be almost impossible to predict where showers or storms will crop up. So I do have some sympathy with the Met Office on this. Today's showers are springing up just about anywhere and some places (like here) have so far stayed dry. When it's like this- your best bet (aside from looking out of the window before heading out :smile:) is to check the rain radar site : http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

If you are as dull as me, you may notice from the radar that much of today's storm activity in the south of the UK has been sparked off over higher ground like the Cambrians. Looks like the Cotswolds might have sparked up a tasty one as well. However the one currently over Norfolk appears to have started just north of Peterborough (sun causing higher temps/strong updraughts there?). Is anyone still awake?

barq

I wish it would rain here! It is very humid but the garden needs a soak.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Just had a huge deluge for about 40 minutes. Wind picked up quite a bit as well and got really dark. No thunder or lightening though. The Met Office forecast on the news at 4pm said that the East will remain dry for the rest of the day :smile:? They are kidding aren't they? Well are they?

Was going to do some well needed weeding in the garden, but shan't bother now. The thistles and dandelions have a reprieve for another few days.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
A tremendous crack of lightning and crash of thunder with the skies opening. Met Office said it was supposed to be dry this evening :becool:.
Plus I lost quite bit of a post with which I was well chuffed before I had the chance to hit submit when the lightning struck and the power went off monentarily :angry:.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
A tremendous crack of lightning and crash of thunder with the skies opening. Met Office said it was supposed to be dry this evening :becool:..

We must be getting the same storm here. All pinks and reds on that Met office radar thing- quite impressive! Second wave about to hit by the look of it - we might get a decent sunset after it's all pushed on through though- ever the optimist!

mangaman

Lovely all day here, despite the predictions of storms.

I don't trust the forcast - not because I believe in some sort of metoffice conspiracy or incompetance. Just that it is impossible.

On the day - I agree with Glow worm and use the rainfall radar and extrapolate.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Forecasts are good - they generally get it fairly right ... but as someone said earlier unstable conditions can mean that you get different weather just a few miles down the road. However looking at the radar today and even their imagery last night it looked as if we wouldn't get much today ... its desparately dry around here - can I have your water butt CP?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Crankarm said:
Yup the Met office have got it spectacularly wrong again. Here in Cambs not a drop of rain today so far. It has been bright and the sun almost poking through. The Met Office forecast a day of low heavy cloud, prolonged heavy showers in the Midlands and the East from the off, brightening up mid afternoon, so didn't go on the club ride today. I think they lost all credibility when they predicted a BBQ summer last year.
The Met Office are clowns :angry:.

Has any one seen any of this rain they predicted today? It rained during the night at about 11pm - 3am. But none since.

Have I got this right?
It's not raining and you're complaining about it?
Has anything ever in the entire history of the Universe made you happy?

I'd have noticed this yesterday if I hadn't been out on my bike, in the sunshine that the Met Office didn't quite predict, the fiends...

Top Bottom