Metal detecting advice, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I live near the seaside, and would like to do a little metal detecting on the beach. Can anyone recommend a reasonably cheap detector? It doesn't have to be "state of the art", just something for a bit of fun after the day visitors have gone home.
Thank you

Brads

Beaches are a nightmare, especially with a cheap detector. They will struggle to discriminate.

johnnyb47

Guru
I have a cheap/mid priced radio shack metal detector and find it's useless on the beach. It's great on the fields but next to useless on the sandy stuff.
Metal detecting along Criccieth beach for 2 hours turned out to be a fruitless day many a times

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I think you can get a reasonable used detector if you keep your eyes open. I don't know if you get them over in the UK, but I used a Tesoro silver umax from the mid to late nineties (still works great -guessing you could pick one up or similar for less than 100 quid). Back in 2016 I was in a beach in Maine and found these with it (interestingly, the scallop edged coin is Pakistani from 1948, only a year after its independence though its in terrible shape, the top left 2 coins are from the US, the rest from Canada) :

WP_20160804_12_08_48_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1583688339759.png

Top Bottom