Metric century from Harrogate, Friday, 24th August, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
It is only Northern trains that are affected. The trains from Scarborough to Leeds are Trans Pennine Express.

The problem for Littgull and I is that we need Northern to get to and from Leeds!
I need York to Knaresborough which is Northern unfortunately

Julia9054

Guru
Ah, yes - I forgot. You've got the same problem as us then!

We can hope that there will be progress in the dispute but I doubt that it will happen

PS Hang on then ... Can't yet you use TPE to get you to York and just ride back from there?
Thought about that but don't we have the booking bike spaces problem on the TPE train?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Brian and I already have return tickets booked with TPE for the Saturday but may well not be able to use them. I suspect that TPE will say 'not our problem' if we try to get refunds due to the Northern trains issue. The joys of a fragmented rail network!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I do know a good cafe. Can't remember what it's called but its right on the market square.
Hope trains don't scupper the Scarborough ride - i have already booked accommodation. Was prepared to ride back to York the next day due to the bike space booking thing but would rather not have to ride all the way home

Not looking good on the train front with Northern, but the strike is only Saturday, so if you are staying over & traveling back Sunday You'll be 'fine' :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My cafe suggestion for Masham agrees with @Julia9054 - Bordar House.

There's outside seating and a servery, handy if you have some of your own bait and just want a drink.

The food is plain, but nice.

I often see road club groups there on Saturday morning when I ride over from the caravan.

There's another good cafe on the opposite corner of the square, by the church.

It also has plenty of outside seating and spaces for bikes.

You don't see so many cyclists there, I suspect because it's a bit dearer and slightly posher.

Last edited:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I just got a call from Kevin. He is going to do what @Oldfentiger plans to do - park outside Harrogate and meet us at Ripley Castle. I told him to expect us there by 11:00 if there are no problems with the trains, or by 11:30 if Brian and I miss our connection in Leeds.

I believe there is free parking at Ripley Castle :okay:
I'll see you chaps at around 11am then, or perhaps 11:30.
The weather forecast is changing every time I look at it. I have fitted my ass saver as a precaution.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes- the forecast still keeps changing but at the moment it has improved slightly. When I woke up this morning, the first forecast I saw said that there might even be thunderstorms out Harrogate way! :eek:

I wrote a note to myself to remind me to transfer the ass saver from my singlespeed bike to my Cannondale - ha ha!

But, in for a penny, and all that ...

I read that parking within the castle's grounds is limited (and probably not a good idea if they might be locked up before we return?) but that there is plenty of parking nearby in the village.

I think I will fetch my bibtights out of hibernation for this ride. Even the best of the forecasts suggested a maximum of about 14-15 degrees, but feeling more like 10-11 degrees with the windchill. Getting wet isn't going to help either and it looks likely that that could happen off and on throughout the ride.

I'm just putting the route on my GPS now.

@Littgull - Brian, I plan to catch the 08:45 train to Leeds from Todmorden but I have just noticed that it is another of those stupid services that does not stop at Littleborough! I don't want to catch the earlier train which DOES stop there because it is at commuter time and will almost certainly be crammed. Would you mind cycling to Tod to board with me here?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PS I will probably make a quick post below once Brian and I are on the train to Leeds, and then a further one once we leave Leeds on the Harrogate train so other riders with mobile internet access can keep track of where we are. (Is there anybody on the list of riders who will NOT be able to access CC when out tomorrow?)

Yes- the forecast still keeps changing but at the moment it has improved slightly. When I woke up this morning, the first forecast I saw said that there might even be thunderstorms out Harrogate way! :eek:

I wrote a note to myself to remind me to transfer the ass saver from my singlespeed bike to my Cannondale - ha ha!

But, in for a penny, and all that ...

I read that parking within the castle's grounds is limited (and probably not a good idea if they might be locked up before we return?) but that there is plenty of parking nearby in the village.

I think I will fetch my bibtights out of hibernation for this ride. Even the best of the forecasts suggested a maximum of about 14-15 degrees, but feeling more like 10-11 degrees with the windchill. Getting wet isn't going to help either and it looks likely that that could happen off and on throughout the ride.

I'm just putting the route on my GPS now.

@Littgull - Brian, I plan to catch the 08:45 train to Leeds from Todmorden but I have just noticed that it is another of those stupid services that does not stop at Littleborough! I don't want to catch the earlier train which DOES stop there because it is at commuter time and will almost certainly be crammed. Would you mind cycling to Tod to board with me here?

Hi Colin (@ColinJ)

There is a train that leaves Littleborough at 8.16 am (8.23 am Tod) and gets to Leeds at 9.21.am. That gives a 38 minute period before getting the 9.59 am train to Harrogate that arrives there at 10.34 am. I would prefer to get the 8.16 am from Littleborough as cycling from Littleborough to Tod to get the 8.45 train has a likely possibility of being wet according to the forecast. Are you ok to get the 8.23 am train? I've just booked and paid for an 'Anytime' return ticket.

Top Bottom