Metric century from Harrogate, Friday, 24th August, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin (@ColinJ)

There is a train that leaves Littleborough at 8.16 am (8.23 am Tod) and gets to Leeds at 9.21.am. That gives a 38 minute period before getting the 9.59 am train to Harrogate that arrives there at 10.34 am. I would prefer to get the 8.16 am from Littleborough as cycling from Littleborough to Tod to get the 8.45 train has a likely possibility of being wet according to the forecast. Are you ok to get the 8.23 am train? I've just booked and paid for an 'Anytime' return ticket.
Okay then.

We would still battle commuters to Halifax, but it doesn't get to Bradford until 08:57 so I reckon most commuters beyond Halifax would have had to catch earlier trains. (This is where we do battle with a horde of Bradford/Leeds commuters who use Flexi-time to start work at 09:30-10:00! :laugh:)

At least aiming to catch earlier trains gives us more flexibility. See you in the morning.

Yes- the forecast still keeps changing but at the moment it has improved slightly. When I woke up this morning, the first forecast I saw said that there might even be thunderstorms out Harrogate way! :eek:

I wrote a note to myself to remind me to transfer the ass saver from my singlespeed bike to my Cannondale - ha ha!

But, in for a penny, and all that ...

I read that parking within the castle's grounds is limited (and probably not a good idea if they might be locked up before we return?) but that there is plenty of parking nearby in the village.

I think I will fetch my bibtights out of hibernation for this ride. Even the best of the forecasts suggested a maximum of about 14-15 degrees, but feeling more like 10-11 degrees with the windchill. Getting wet isn't going to help either and it looks likely that that could happen off and on throughout the ride.

I'm just putting the route on my GPS now.

@Littgull - Brian, I plan to catch the 08:45 train to Leeds from Todmorden but I have just noticed that it is another of those stupid services that does not stop at Littleborough! I don't want to catch the earlier train which DOES stop there because it is at commuter time and will almost certainly be crammed. Would you mind cycling to Tod to board with me here?

@ColinJ - Colin

Strange thing is that if you look at train times from Todmorden to Harrogate (using trainline.com or nationalrail.com) it doesn't include the 8.45 am train to Leeds. But if you just look at trains from Todmorden to Leeds it does include the 8.45 am train! Presumably, because they would not be confident in offering just an 8 minute period to get the Harrogate train.

Okay then.

We would still battle commuters to Halifax, but it doesn't get to Bradford until 08:57 so I reckon most commuters beyond Halifax would have had to catch earlier trains. (This is where we do battle with a horde of Bradford/Leeds commuters who use Flexi-time to start work at 09:30-10:00! :laugh:)

At least aiming to catch earlier trains gives us more flexibility. See you in the morning.

Yes, I think we should be ok to get our bikes safely in situ before the commuter hordes arrive.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ - Colin

Strange thing is that if you look at train times from Todmorden to Harrogate (using trainline.com or nationalrail.com) it doesn't include the 8.45 am train to Leeds. But if you just look at trains from Todmorden to Leeds it does include the 8.45 am train! Presumably, because they would not be confident in offering just an 8 minute period to get the Harrogate train.
I noticed that too and made the same presumption.

Yes, I think we should be ok to get our bikes safely in situ before the commuter hordes arrive.
We should be safely in situ after the commuter hordes from Manchester to Littleborough who work regular hours in Bradford or Leeds, and before those who work flexi-time in Bradford/Leeds but getting on after Todmorden.

The ones who might catch us out are the commuters from Manchester to Littleborough who work regular hours in Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Sowerby Bridge or Halifax, and those who work flexi-time in Bradford/Leeds! (Hopefully, the number of them will be relatively small.)

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Have a good ride guys, been thinking of joining, but it makes it a bloody long day with travelling to & from Harrogate & after a 7 early shifts it's a tad too much for me. Gonna have a little ride up the coast on onto wolds & hopefully home before the rain arrives (forecast for 2pm over here) :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Have a good ride guys, been thinking of joining, but it makes it a bloody long day with travelling to & from Harrogate & after a 7 early shifts it's a tad too much for me. Gonna have a little ride up the coast on onto wolds & hopefully home before the rain arrives (forecast for 2pm over here) :okay:
Have fun on your ride too!

likewise enjoy I'd love to join you but have plan's that day. Another time for sure as a newbie i'm alway's up for a challenge.
Cheers. We'll see you on another of our rides then!

Regarding the weather... I'm hoping that this ride will be one of those that I am able to enjoy while I am actually doing it rather one of those that I feel satisfied to have done once it is finished. :laugh:

GPS batteries recharged, route uploaded, ass guard transplanted, rail ticket purchased!

See y'all in the morning/afternoon.

I'm reviewing tomorrow's forecast and, ignoring the actual forum ride bit, which for me would be something like 1200-1430 only, I have, on the way to meet you at Pateley Bridge, 60km of a helpful 17-35mph tailwind. That's splendid but likely to be marred considerably by the assortment of light rain, heavy rain, hail and thundershowers which cover my outward route, with probabilities ranging from 40% to 70%. On the return, 75km, leg the weather menu includes much the same in terms of stuff falling out of the sky and the likelihood thereof - so that's lots of it and very likely - but naturally features the additional negative of headwinds gusting into the mid thirties mph.

Even the bit of the actual forum ride I'd be joining you for is the 2-3 hour period where the ride has a 70% chance of benefiting from thunder and heavy rain, it being much better for you outside that period.

Soooo..... at this point, regretfully and unless something surprising happens with the ever-changing forecast, I'm going to wimp out of this one, though I shall try hard to maintain my motivation and do my planned route on Saturday instead, which appears to have considerably nicer weather. Sorry about that but whist it's a tolerable loop from Harrogate it's really a bit grim starting from Clapham!

I hope it proves to be not too damp for you and look forward to the ride report.

Then again..... I wrote that about thirty minutes ago and now it's more like 'showery all day' everywhere, with slightly reduced winds. @ColinJ : I will post here if I change my mind back to meeting you.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm reviewing tomorrow's forecast and, ignoring the actual forum ride bit, which for me would be something like 1200-1430 only, I have, on the way to meet you at Pateley Bridge, 60km of a helpful 17-35mph tailwind. That's splendid but likely to be marred considerably by the assortment of light rain, heavy rain, hail and thundershowers which cover my outward route, with probabilities ranging from 40% to 70%. On the return, 75km, leg the weather menu includes much the same in terms of stuff falling out of the sky and the likelihood thereof - so that's lots of it and very likely - but naturally features the additional negative of headwinds gusting into the mid thirties mph.

Even the bit of the actual forum ride I'd be joining you for is the 2-3 hour period where the ride has a 70% chance of benefiting from thunder and heavy rain, it being much better for you outside that period.

Soooo..... at this point, regretfully and unless something surprising happens with the ever-changing forecast, I'm going to wimp out of this one, though I shall try hard to maintain my motivation and do my planned route on Saturday instead, which appears to have considerably nicer weather. Sorry about that but whist it's a tolerable loop from Harrogate it's really a bit grim starting from Clapham!

I hope it proves to be not too damp for you and look forward to the ride report.

Then again..... I wrote that about thirty minutes ago and now it's more like 'showery all day' everywhere, with slightly reduced winds. @ColinJ : I will post here if I change my mind back to meeting you.
I wouldn't... :laugh:

Whichever way you look at it, you'd have a horrid slog home. I'd ride your original planned route and choose the optimum time to do it.

I was toying with wearing my heavy duty rain jacket, but that isn't pleasant to ride in and would be a nuisance if the weather improved. I'll carry my boil-in-the-bag lightweight Aldi jacket instead and only wear it if I have to.

I have got my overshoes out of storage and might wear them, but will decide after a last-minute weather check just before setting off.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've just been looking at the route... If the weather turned evil on us, we could take one of several different shortcuts to Masham.

The obvious shortcut is direct from Fearby but that would cut a massive 25 km off the total, reducing the full route to 88 km. I'd like to get at least 100 km in so I hope we don't feel compelled to do that one.

A more acceptable shortcut would be to turn right at the crossroads above the A6108 instead of turning left. That would cut 10 km from the route, which would then be 103 km. I'd be happy with that one.

Let's see how it goes.

Oh, drat - it is 01:20 already... I suppose I had better get some sleep now or it won't be worth going to bed! :laugh:

See you soon.

colly

Re member eR
Well in Leeds there is not a cloud to be seen Thats unlikely to last l know.
I've checked 3 weather sources
The Met Office had it raining from 10 am until late pm. Or at least a good chance of rain.
Accuweather has it as a couple of spells of rain
However Yoweather on my phone has it as cloudy from about 10 am onwards.

I think we should order from Yoweather
Just bib tights and a jacket for me. Rain cape in my pocket.
How bad can it get???

See you later.

Top Bottom