Metric or Imperial? Or both?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, OO gauge for me. EM, P4 and 009 are also 4mm to the foot.
You'll get folk confused.

wonderloaf

Veteran
At work I always generally thought in millimeters but when considering small clearances (or interference's) used to think in thousands of an inch (thou's) as it seemed more natural. I would then convert the thou's to millimeters for my final calculations! :wacko:

colly

Re member eR
I always love this sign !
So obviously put up by someone that did not understand the metric system.
Why not say the clearance in imperial measurement is 175.19 inches (or 2,100 1/12th's !!)

View attachment 472427
Not so sure about that. When I worked in engineering / building services builing measurements were given in mm. For instance distance between roof trusses would be marked as 6100mm. or the height of a wall might be 4250mm

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not so sure about that. When I worked in engineering / building services builing measurements were given in mm. For instance distance between roof trusses would be marked as 6100mm. or the height of a wall might be 4250mm
In theory the centimetre stopped existing years ago as a unit of measurement.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
In theory the centimetre stopped existing years ago as a unit of measurement.

Don't come in here with your la de da stories of extinct units of length......

I'll have you know my 27.5 inch wheels can also be described as 698.5....698.5.....nnnrrr...698.5................... bugger it you win, 698.5mm, I just can't get that decimal point to the other side of the 8.

Another good thing about a nice, logical system like the metric system is it's easier to spot when something's awry, as it's usually out by a factor of 10...

We talk in terms of 8x4s at work, as it's just a handy shorthand for '1220x2440', but measure in mm. If I'm measuring a site hoarding, the SI unit will be 'boards', so it might be 27boards, 638mm, which everyone knows is 33,578mm!

Height and driving distance are the only purely imperial measures I can think of that we still use at home.

Venod

Eh up
Worked in engineering all my life so used both systems, I tend to measure things in metric, but still use gear inches for bike gearing, I drink pints at the pub but 500 ml cans at home.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
the usual mish mash....

Small distances, metric mm, m....big distances miles. Except one's height which is feet and inches of course

Weight is metric except one's weight which is stones and pounds

Volume is litres except anything served in a pint or half pint glass

Temp is metric Celsius. None of yer old fashioned Fahrenheit nonsense here

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Metric is definitely better for engineering. Plumbing can be difficult because pipes tend to be metric and measured outside diameter, by flow meter ports are often imperial and measured inner diameter. Then you have diametric nominale, which is a list of metric diameters approximating standard imperial port sizes.

Top Bottom