Metric or Imperial? Or both?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Mixture of both for me as well
Size/distance - up to about a foot, I'll use metric, after that it's imperial only
Weights - people are in stone & pounds, everything else is metric
Volume - I still do fuel in imperial (divide the litre display by 4.54) but don't care whether anything else is in metric or imperial
When we changed over to decimal currency in 1971, it was my job as a 6 year old to convert new to old money for my gran - I stil do this occasionally in my head.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I use both. I use metres, inches, feet, liters, gallons, pounds and kg. I tend to use metric much more as that's the system here in the Far East.

I used both growing up, but since moving here I've used metric all the time except when riding an imperial century.

Using Kilometres took a bit of getting used to at first, but I'm very glad I only have to work in multiples of 10. I shudder at the thought of having to work out area, volume and wood warpage in imperial measurements.

In theory the centimetre stopped existing years ago as a unit of measurement.
Yeah, replaced by the centimeter.

That aside, I agree with you.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This is interesting and confusing. I know nothing about 5/16ths in terms of sockets and spanners, I always use metric. I use imperial for height and weight, except for small weights (in cooking for example) where I prefer metric.

D

Deleted member 26715

I used to have an imperial adjustable spanner, but had to buy a metric adjustable spanner when everything came in mm sizes.
Posted this before, but the one on the left is a Metric 250mm adjustable & the one of the right is a 10" Imperial you can see it is forged on them (if you zoom in)

20181026_152241.jpg

Top Bottom