Metric or Imperial? Or both?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Both here too, far easier to say it's an 8' x 4' sheet than a 1220 x 2440 but then no-one says 3/8th" ply it's always 10mil

D

Deleted member 1258

I was brought up on imperial, metric is confusing.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Weights and temperature in metric, distance in imperial though I can't be doing with gear inches, preferring to think in terms of ratios than measurement. Height in imperial too, I'd rather be 6'1'' than 180-something cm.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I am also bi. Height imperial; weight metric, bike metric, diving fully metric, DIY metric (apart from some plumbing!), distances both.
Any discussions about measurements with Mrs B, - all imperial. :banghead::secret:

Brains

Legendary Member
I'm in maritime
We use metric, and imperial, and American, and Maritime.

Ship dimensions tend to be metric.
Ship capacities are usually cubic meters but are often cubic feet, unless they are in American barrels.
Stowage factors can be in Kilos per cubic meter, or pounds per cubic foot, unless its American gallons per American Barrel which means the temperature is probably in Fahrenheit.

Gas however is always cubic meters with a temperature in centigrade.
Fruit is usually in cubic feet with a temperature in Fahrenheit.
Scrap is usually measured in Short tons (907kg) and not in Long tons (1016kg) or Metric tonnes (1,000 kg)

You try to then work out the ETA of a ship travelling at 14 Knots per Nautical mile !
What will the draft be, in meters, if the ship is loaded with 20,000 tons of scrap where the map says the water is 5 fathoms deep ?

Gross/Nett Tons (or more correctly 'tuns') are of course measured in the cubic capacity of medieval wine barrels.

Brains

Legendary Member
I always love this sign !
So obviously put up by someone that did not understand the metric system.
Why not say the clearance in imperial measurement is 175.19 inches (or 2,100 1/12th's !!)

upload_2019-6-24_18-18-36.png

Top Bottom