metro article on helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you're referring to my post I'd claim low intellect and an unfamiliarity with making statements I'm prepared to staunchly stick to as my own weak defense.

Changing ones opinions shows a willingness to learn and improve :smile:
I wasn't!

It is anecdata in general that is the hypocrisy

tt123

Regular
Perhaps as soon as you put it up on a public forum as a discussion point?

I see no need for me to defend MY decisions to anyone, as they are MY decisions. Your decision to be obtuse, is also your decision.

I would however like an explanation for the rather bizarre sig line you have?

If you are anti compulsion which is the same as wearing a helmet you are anti helmet

StuartG

slower but further
True. True. I also work in an engineering firm, that forces me to be very risk-aware, I guess I'm the same on bike.

Wearing a helmet wouldn't have helped when I fell out of a moving car at 50mph and landed on my face, but wearing a helmet when I'm out on my bike makes me feel a little bit assured that I'm doing at least something to mitigate risk, it eases flashbacks to the very visceral memories of the bloodied mess I was and the months and months of outpatient hell that my own stupidity caused :smile:
I find these two paragraphs contradict.

The first suggests you take an objective view measuring the risk and the mitigation. If you do so you will find the jury is still out on helmets and will be for the forseeable future.

The second admits that the helmet is your comfort blanket. You could wear that of course. Would you fare better or worse? Sorry if that sounds condesensing but it is at least honest. There is much in life we cannot be objective about and just have trust to hunch, prejudice or guilt. Helmet wearing is just that.

I would however like an explanation for the rather bizarre sig line you have?

It was a post by a guy in a thread on compulsion. They claimed amongst other things that cycle helmets prevented facial inuries, and other bizarre claims for their effectiveness.

When challenged the reply was that by querying the claims you must be anti-helmet!

He was totally unable to understand the difference between promoting informed decisions and being anti helmet. The crux of his argument was that unless you supported the claims he was making and were avidly pro-compulsion you must be anti-helmet.......

The pinnacle of his contribution was the sentence used as the sig line.

I see no need for me to defend MY decisions to anyone, as they are MY decisions. Your decision to be obtuse, is also your decision

Correct, and as I posted way back, you have every right to make that decision, however what is questioned is the value of anecdata as an argument to support that decision.

tt123

Regular
It was a post by a guy in a thread on compulsion. They claimed amongst other things that cycle helmets prevented facial inuries, and other bizarre claims for their effectiveness.

When challenged the reply was that by querying the claims you must be anti-helmet!

He was totally unable to understand the difference between promoting informed decisions and being anti helmet. The crux of his argument was that unless you supported the claims he was making and were avidly pro-compulsion you must be anti-helmet.......

The pinnacle of his contribution was the sentence used as the sig line.

Thanks for the explanation. I could be wrong, but the person who wrote that originally, must have either been at the sherry, or typing away in the midst of a hissy fit.

tt123

Regular
Correct, and as I posted way back, you have every right to make that decision, however what is questioned is the value of anecdata as an argument to support that decision.

I understand what you're getting at, in that it is an isolated example and not scientific data, but to me it was first hand, face to face, and put the thought into my head that perhaps wearing a helmet could be a good idea rather than just a major fashion faux pas.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I came off at speed today, and was glad of my helmet.

I would have been glad of full motorbike leathers too...

:kicks wasps nest and runs away:

I understand what you're getting at, in that it is an isolated example and not scientific data, but to me it was first hand, face to face, and put the thought into my head that perhaps wearing a helmet could be a good idea rather than just a major fashion faux pas.

I feel personally that the individual has to make the choice for themselves and that the choice must be informed and aware of all the pros and cons.

tt123

Regular
I feel personally that the individual has to make the choice for themselves and that the choice must be informed and aware of all the pros and cons.

It is a choice each individual makes, informed, uninformed, on a whim, or after deep deliberation. It's really no-one else's business what they do, why they do it, or even if they change their mind on a daily basis.

Shall we talk about Hi-Vis clothing now? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom