metro article on helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Brilliant!

Errr... cake for me too, please...

Glad someone got it!

It is a choice each individual makes, informed, uninformed, on a whim, or after deep deliberation. It's really no-one else's business what they do, why they do it, or even if they change their mind on a daily basis.

Shall we talk about Hi-Vis clothing now? ;)

...ish

The problem is that there are all too many bizarre claims that need to be challenged.

lukesdad

Fully respect your decision but its justification just raises the often raised question. It is much more likely that a head injury from a trip or fall on the streets or in the home or from a collision while driving your car would deprive your daughter of her daddy and yet you don't think it worth wearing one then. Its a helmet conundrum that never seems to be answered.

Red herring.

tt123

Regular
If I remember it correctly (and I'd have to try and dig out the report from wherever it is burried on t'internet), statistically you're more likely to be injured walking on the pavement that cyclig on the road. In fact, I believe it was demonstrated you're more likely to be KSId by a car as a pedestrian on the pavement than as a cyclist on the road.

I'd be very interested in seeing the report as well as how the figures are compiled. If it's x number of traumatic head injuries per 1,000,000 cyclists, x number of traumatic head injuries per 1,000,000 pedestrians, etc. or if it's just bare numbers?

tt123

Regular
There's some interesting figures from the CTC here but it's not the report that I'm thinking of which was a TRL report I think...

Interesting reading, but not really much use in the cycling helmet debate.

Slightly OT: I didn't know that there had been such a large increase in the number of cyclists in London.

Since 2000, cycling on London’s major roads increased by over 100%

tt123

Regular
1843765 said:

Because there's no mention of head injuries at all? And there's very little about injuries to cyclists in any way shape or form.

tt123

Regular
Not at all. I was responding to Mr Paul's point, which was about where you were at greatest risk. It wasn't helmet specific - that was tt123's spin on it...

And I must say that if you look an arse, at least it will be an elegant arse!

I must have thought that you were responding to my comment about traumatic head injury because you quoted my post when you posted the link.

Let's go to the real basics?

Arguing about whether it may happen to you is always going to be unrealistic.

If you are trained then according to ROSPA this is more effective in reducing your risk than wearing a helmet.

If you ride a recumbent trike then you eliminate falling off.........

Does that reduce your risk sufficiently to make a helmet
unnecessary?

[QUOTE 1843725, member: 45"]Everyone avoids it when we try to drill down to the all else being equal and like-for-like. I asked a valid question several times cant this very issue, but no-one wanted uo answer-

Me, same journey, walking on the pavement or cycling on the road - which puts me at greatest risk? Bearing in mind that I'm not irresponsible, frail or drunk, and that I don't frequent dark, mugger-ridden alleys.[/quote]

Easy - walking.

And this from today's Times:

A blight on Britain
• More that 500,000 people of working age live with permanent disabilities after a head injury
• Each year about one million people attend A&E with head injury
• About half of deaths in the under-40s are due to head injury
• Men are three times more likely to have a brain injury than women; five times more likely in 15-29 age group

Against that the small number of cyclist head injuries are insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom