mickle technique...help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vichingo

Regular
Hello everybody, please go gently this is my first time...Here goes…

I happened to stumble upon the fantastic article by Mick Allan on Cyclorama in relation to bicycle chain maintenance and care. I’ve followed the advice given, wiped and wiped until the chain was spotless, added the lube (free sample of ceramic wet lube) spun the pedals and wiped again. I’m yet to wipe after the first couple of miles as I did this late last night.I have two questions I’m hoping you can help me with…

Firstly does the type of lube matter? Have I wasted my time with the ceramic? (bearing in mind I don’t usually use this).

Secondly, I’m not quite sure how much of the lube is meant to remain on the chain. I’m slightly confused by this. I appreciate by spinning the pedals the lube will be absorbed in to the key parts of the chain. After it is wiped again, what if anything should I expect to see on my finger if I run it across the chain. I’m used to the black smear effect which tells me if there isn't enough or too much. With this technique it’s as if the chain is dryto the touch. Is this the result I’m after knowing the lube was previously absorbed in to each link?? God I’m so confused!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Vichingo
Sounds like you did fine.
Never used ceramic lube but you can't go wrong if it's free.
I use dry-lube and assuming very similar so what you did was great. Lubing the chain then spinning it over the chaini rings and cassette then take the surplus off.
If all is well cleaned and mainly road use then should be fine for a while.

OP
OP
Vichingo

Vichingo

Regular
Thanks a lot for your response. I've been wondering about this all night and day :crazy: About 3 hours sleep all night because of it :smile: This means now I can go out and play now :smile: Cheers Tony!

OP
OP
Vichingo

Vichingo

Regular
Thanks tincaman, that's great advice to keep in mind for the autumn and winter months.

I've been out this evening for a trial run, i have to say it was a dream. The gear change was much better and it was nice to see the chain glisten when it caught the sun.

thanks very much for the advice guys, this is something I will definately continue to do based on the results I have achieved today.

boydj

Legendary Member
The important place for the oil to be is inside the chain. Any excess on the outside is just going to attract dirt.

OP
OP
Vichingo

Vichingo

Regular
I'm sure my sister wont mind me using one of her one direction CD. Cant think of anything more appropriate for it. Another clean up operation pencilled in for this evening. Thanks once again for all your help and advice I really do appreciate it.

Top Bottom