Mickle's one true way of chain maintenance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I guess you did the experiment then!!

Lets have the figures - approx miles for the Sheldon Shake, and for the re-lube and wipe methods.

I used to Sheldon Shake, but then stopped when I started using Finishline Pro Road Ceramic chain lube - it is recommended not to degrease that. I have noticed that there is no bedding in required as after each chain shake, but running performance seems fairly unchanged.

bonj2

i never degrease my chain at all, just put penetrating chain oil on it every 1 - 2 rides, and clean it with a brush when it's really grimy but that's it.
don't know mileage: Replaced both my chains recently, but due to other reasons: my MTB chain had rusted up 'cos i went for a ride before christmas and not oiled it after drying and not ridden for a couple of weeks after, and my road bike I upgraded to 9 speed so replaced with a 9 speed chain.

Tynan

Veteran
what happens when you don't clean?

I mean really, I don't mean it'll wear, I mean what will happen as regards the ride?

I used to do serious miles with no more than some more oil when it started squeaking

Fairy Nuff.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Someone will be along to explain why not to use WD40 - if I remember correctly - its a water dispersant rather than a lubricant (have I got that right?)

I'm currently using Finish Line Wet Lube but I'm not very technical in these matters.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You would be better off wiping it with margarine than using WD40..

Mtb - gets some fresh oil every ride, wipe off mud with hot soapy water, wd40 then new oil.
Roadbike - white spirit to remove black slimy grime, then re-oil

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
summerdays said:
Someone will be along to explain why not to use WD40 - if I remember correctly - its a water dispersant rather than a lubricant (have I got that right?)

I'm currently using Finish Line Wet Lube but I'm not very technical in these matters.

What he said about WD40. its not a lubricant, so doesn't really add anything to the chain that benefits it at all. As i said Margarine would be better, unsalted. :biggrin:

Finish line is a very good product. The wet is really good. Thoroughly recommended

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Should I change to using the Dry version come summer time ... and what sort of time would that be ... or is it wet lube if raining and dry if not?

Tynan

Veteran
I'm 'still' on dry from buying it in June and being rather sparing, other than needing redoing after rain it's a good 'un

Top Bottom