Mickle's one true way of chain maintenance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have seen a kids bike on which the cassette was covered in something that looked like vaseline in great big gloops.

Anyone ever tried a Scottoiler? Ooh, they're brilliant.
:evil:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Rhythm Thief said:
Anyone ever tried a Scottoiler? Ooh, they're brilliant.
:evil:

I have been tempted by one, they seem to get very good writeups! I would think they would work well on the 'bent too, given the length of chain and that it comes extra close to the ground.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
summerdays said:
I have seen a kids bike on which the cassette was covered in something that looked like vaseline in great big gloops.

I've seen similar in the coverage of the Tour of California - the wet stages were done by some teams with a kind of clear grease on the chain, enough that it's visible as a gelatinous coating on the chain (of course, they can afford to throw the chains away after the stage, though).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
summerdays said:

My Fixie chain runs on Vaseline. In the old days I melted it and shook the chain around in the warm melted stuff to penetrate the links, and then removed to drip dry.
Not done this for years as mostly it sits on the turbo, just a touch of regular oil these days.
When it used to be used all-year round it worked a treat!

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Ok, since no one else has mentioned it, HERE, is SHELDON BROWN'S PROPER WAY TO MAINTAIN A CHAIN! http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

Top Bottom