Micro Pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Snackers Bar in Balsall Heath, Birmingham, has been a micro-pub since it opened in the 19th century. It holds about 20 people and it's one of only three pubs still open in the area.

Last edited:

Large

Duty idiot
i hate micro pubs-------------------------------------------------i bang my head on the ceiling.
He's here all week....

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just curios, is it the lack of space, the weird opening times or the taxi driver that keeps you away.
I would say the taxi driver but it's really the lack of space. And also I'm not sure if all micro pubs are like The Door Hinge but the last time I was in they had a sign outside that said "Want lager? Don't come in. Want wine? Don't come in. Want alcopops? Don't come in. Want soft drinks? Don't come in. Want locally brewed real ale? Please come in". Now that's commendable in a way but if I want to go to a pub on my own, I'll probably take a newspaper into the local 'Spoons so they need to be a bit more flexible.

Edit: I was just searching to see if they still had the sign and found a newspaper link where the Door Hinge claims to be London's first micropub.

Ours is called, 'Wor Local Micropub' not a very catchy name at all!

What I do like about it is that all the pints are either £2.80 or £3 and there is always a managers special at £2 per pint. Cheaper than Wetherspoons that is.:okay:

Tim Hall

I would say the taxi driver but it's really the lack of space. And also I'm not sure if all micro pubs are like The Door Hinge but the last time I was in they had a sign outside that said "Want lager? Don't come in. Want wine? Don't come in. Want alcopops? Don't come in. Want soft drinks? Don't come in. Want locally brewed real ale? Please come in". Now that's commendable in a way but if I want to go to a pub on my own, I'll probably take a newspaper into the local 'Spoons so they need to be a bit more flexible.

Edit: I was just searching to see if they still had the sign and found a newspaper link where the Door Hinge claims to be London's first micropub.
The one we went to in Dover has this sign:
IMGP7207.JPG

Which suggests supplies of yellow beer are somewhat limited.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The one we went to in Dover has this sign:
IMGP7207.JPG

Which suggests supplies of yellow beer are somewhat limited.
That's positively cosmopolitan compared to the Door Hinge. That one does cider, wine and food!!

I was also a tad suspicious when the DH won Greater London pub of the year but there are allegations that with CAMRA it's not how good you are but which people you give freebies/cash to. I couldn't possibly prove or deny these allegations

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
IMG_20160331_170816132.jpg

Fourteen taps, shelves of bottles arranged by colour, a fridge, serves wine, prosecco and even lager (one of the permanent taps is a black lager). And it's within an easy walk of the house. The only thing I'd change is the music selection.

As a way to spend a holiday afternoon a couple of pints here isn't bad.

Brains

Legendary Member
The first ever micopub was on the Isle of Thanet,
The CAMRA micropub of the year 2015 is also on Thanet, (The Yard of Ale)
And the smallest micropub is also on Thanet (The Four Candles, I'll bet it's standing room only tonight)
So whatever the collective noun is for a group of micropubs is, Thanet has it !!

Anyone fancy a 20 mile cycle ride that takes in all 13 micropubs on the island ?
Half a pint in each, no one allowed the same beer as anyone else.
What could possibly go wrong ?
upload_2016-3-31_20-45-15.png

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zxI0bvWkO_Qg.kB1hDxGEaCp4&hl=enhttps://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zxI0bvWkO_Qg.kB1hDxGEaCp4&hl=en

Luckily you are never more than staggering distance from the nearest station and trains to London take about an hour
How about a Saturday in May or June ?

http://www.micropubcrawl.co.uk/map/map.htm

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
What a change in 3 years! The Black Rat is still going strong, the mega adjacent chain pub that it killed is now owned by a Leeds brewery (Cask ales, exposed brick, stripped wood, cocktails etc) and there are now THREE micro pubs within 2 minutes walk of my house and a further FOUR within 10 minutes. :okay::cheers:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I love those pubs too, purely because they usually serve proper cider and proper ale. 90% of places now only do Strongbow (urgh), Kopparberg (urgh x2) and Stella

Top Bottom