Mid ESSEX February Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1LegRikk

Aiming for a test run of the route this sat/sun as with colds/skin issues on my stump (now clearing) and weather I've not done as much riding as I'd hoped so I want to make sure I can do it (or at least close) rather than hold everyone up.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
...like I said...stragglers will not be left behind....assuming the weather is not totally horrendous we'll have lot's of time.

Just athought ..it just occurred to me that I dont recall there being a ramp at Billericay...I do recall a flight of steps though...I dont know if that's a problem or not...no problem if you train comes in from the London side as there is access right off the platform through the bike racks /car park...but from the southend direction I think you need to go up some steps and cross over the bridge. No big deal, it's easy enough to shoulder a regular bike, but I am not sure about a trike?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Anyone know the distance / cycling time between Shenfield railway station and the meet up point ? Just looking at the pro's and cons of coming by train / car ?

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Anyone know the distance / cycling time between Shenfield railway station and the meet up point ? Just looking at the pro's and cons of coming by train / car ?

You could cycle from Shenfield station to Billericay station in about 15-20 mins. There's a car park behind the station at Shenfield.

4F

Cheers dayvo. It looked quite close on a map and would certainly take 1 train stop out of it. decisions decisions

If you are in Norfolk that week and coming and I take the car you are more than welcome to a lift from Ipswich railway station onwards and back. I may even have my other road bike on the road then (54 cm frame) if the others offered are the wrong size.

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Cheers dayvo. It looked quite close on a map and would certainly take 1 train stop out of it. decisions decisions

If you are in Norfolk that week and coming and I take the car you are more than welcome to a lift from Ipswich railway station onwards and back. I may even have my other road bike on the road then (54 cm frame) if the others offered are the wrong size.

Thanks for the offer, FFFF. :sad:

I'll most likely have finished my East Anglian 'jaunt' by then, but, as I've mentioned, my plans are a bit vague at present, although I do want to make the Essex ride. :biggrin:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
FatFella, I could possibly give you a lift if you wanted to go to Manningtree or Colchester stations or drive to my place (somewhere between the two). Although my trike takes up the whole of the boot/back seats of my car I have a bike rack that your bike could go on, if this helps at all (might be more faffy than it's worth).

4F

Auntie Helen said:
FatFella, I could possibly give you a lift if you wanted to go to Manningtree or Colchester stations or drive to my place (somewhere between the two). Although my trike takes up the whole of the boot/back seats of my car I have a bike rack that your bike could go on, if this helps at all (might be more faffy than it's worth).

Thanks for the offer Auntie Helen and I will get back to you on that if I can. Just waiting for Mrs FFFF to let me know whether she wants the car that day to run the little FFFF's around.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

..another option for peeps looking at Shenfield might be to ride from Shenfield up to Brentwood high street and meet up with the rest of the ride there. Only I suppose we'd need to get the timing right or we'll miss each other....second thoughts probably better to stick with one kick off point. From Shenfields to Billericay is an easy 20min ride.

I have just got in from riding this loop...as I approached stock it occurred to me that if anybody has had enuff at that point or jus tneeds to s shoot off...then they can turn right and be back at billericau station in a few minutes while the rest of us head off around Hanningfield etc. So if anybody is a little worried they my not make the distance there is a plan B which effectively guts th edistance down I would guess by around 10 miles ish. We can call that the wimp ride and the full ride we will call the real mans ..erm..persons...ride;):biggrin::sad:

One thought I had....tell me if it sucketh....if somebody wants to be 'Tail end charlie'...someone with a map? That way if the group gets a bit spread out it's not a big issue. Or do you want me to ride at the back and shout out Directions?:smile:

...There are three decent looking pubs in Blackmore..I just counted them:biggrin:....small bakery type cafe on Ingatestone high street.....

...personally speaking this loop is doable without a stop...just done it...but there are pitstops out there.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Pitstops are fun!

Do you want to bring my walkie talkies? If the back marker has one, and the ride leader another, then if there are any problems we don't all get spread out too badly.

Sig SilverPrinter

Finally found a train timetable.I could get a direct train from romford that would get me to billericay at 11.06.
Or i could go for an earlier train which i would have to change at shenfield which would get me there earlier.
So would you wait for 6mins :biggrin:

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

..Walkie talkies!!!!! Wow now your talking...I always wanted a set of those as a kid....can I say ....this is red leader, come in charlie, over ..all day???...:biggrin::sad:

seriously..I am hopeless with anything technical...bring them along and ride at the front...that way I cant break anything expensive, or accidently call in an airforce strike on the ride or something:biggrin:

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Ok...ref start timing. Let's call it 11am for an 11.15 (latest) kick off. I suppose I should bring a list of who is coming and count us all in before we ride off into oblivion or something?

Top Bottom