Mid Mersey Cycle-way........south of Warrington......info wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
From Walton..........heading towards Chester direction.......there is a cycleway being made/upgraded.
It is on the right side and so far it goes at least as far as Daresbury (maybe further).
There are a few free standing signs simply stating "Mid Mersey Cycleway".
I have googled it but cant find anything other than the existing-dated-information.
Anyone know what is going on??

BikeLiker

From Walton..........heading towards Chester direction.......there is a cycleway being made/upgraded.
It is on the right side and so far it goes at least as far as Daresbury (maybe further).

On the right side of what? The Trans Pennine trail runs along the right bank of the Mersey between Warrington and Widnes.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
On the right side of what? The Trans Pennine trail runs along the right bank of the Mersey between Warrington and Widnes.

Yes.........not very clear was I :wacko:
Right side of the A56 from Walton all the way to Daresbury.
I have googled again (using a variety of terms) and see there is a government move to make areas of high employment more accessible/linked by walk/cycle paths. As there is a large complex of offices at Daresbury (next to the M56 junction) it could well be to link Warrington residential areas with it.
It will certainly make cycling to that area more enjoyable & less dangerous.

tournut

Yes.........not very clear was I :wacko:
Right side of the A56 from Walton all the way to Daresbury.
I have googled again (using a variety of terms) and see there is a government move to make areas of high employment more accessible/linked by walk/cycle paths. As there is a large complex of offices at Daresbury (next to the M56 junction) it could well be to link Warrington residential areas with it.
It will certainly make cycling to that area more enjoyable & less dangerous.
Only one i know is along the bridgewater canal, depending which way you want to go.

tournut

No..........this new path (not completed yet) runs right alongside the main A56.
I have tried googling it aswell. Carnt find anything. Only thing i can think of if new cyclepath try local council, wont thay be doing the work. Sorry could not help you .

tournut

I have tried googling it aswell. Carnt find anything. Only thing i can think of if new cyclepath try local council, wont thay be doing the work. Sorry could not help you .
Just thought, try go on google map then go on where the layer is and put for bikes it shows up all routes in green lines. Just done it and there are many round that area. If that does not help sorry.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It is just a case of knowing what to search for.. ;)

A quick search revealed this tredious pdf. http://www.sthelens.gov.uk/media/213151/lstf_mid_mersey_bid.pdf
page 13 onwards is what you are after. There is a map on page 14. The route is to link Washington to Daresbury only, no further. At least not for that section. There are some other developments as well.

Thats the one............many thanks.
Strange that they have several signs saying "mid Mersey cycle path" as though it's going to be something special.
However I am sure it will of benefit to many.

geoffnelder

I often ride Chester to Warrington (home to father-in-law) on the A56, which is generally cycle friendly except for this bit Dave mentions around Daresbury. I'm cycling it again Wednesday and Thursday so eager to see if the new cycle path is easily accessible and smooth. I've often come off the A56 at Walton and gone up the hill to Hatton to avoid that stretch of busy road and motorway roundabout in the past.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
As of last Saturday it is no-where near completed. They seem to be laying all/most of the hard cord then the smooth surface.........in large sections. I am guessing it will be some monthsbefore completion.

geoffnelder

I cycled 80% of it yesterday, the rest as you say Dave has yet to get its surface. It's a bit annoying that they've installed those staggered barriers where roads cross the cycle path but at least I can cycle round them with panniers and not have to dismount. Where finished, the surface is very smooth.

Top Bottom