Middle-aged blokes...fashion/style advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajc

Is it ok to cycle in 3/4 length lycra shorts ?

I detest 3/4 length trousers but really like my Northwave 3/4 length lycra shorts.......is that wrong or just wierd ?

I once shaved my head and looked liked I'd been having chemo, I looked ill, I stick to a number 2 these days

I'm 54 and have never got out of the habit of wearing t shirts with things written on them. Philosophy Football shirts are good as most of the slogans are from people older than us or dead. My current favourite is Howies 'anger management' - a must for the discerning cyclist. In fact, a lot of the clothes I wear regularly are from Howies: pricey, but since I learned how to read washing instructions after taking up cycling, they last forever. Rest of my stuff I get from outlet stores - at 28 waist I never have much choice in trousers since McDonalds took over the nation's nutrition, so I wear what I can get.

Emu

For the past 18 years I've been buying my husbands clothes. He's 60 and hates going shopping. When we get the new season Next directory he always has a look. My step daughter thinks he's become very scruffy since he's been living with me but if he's happy to wear cargo shorts and a tottenham logoed polo shirt then surely that's up to him? He looks good in them so I'm not sure what her problem is. Work wise I buy him expensive shirts and ties (there's too many choices for him to make the decision) and he buys his jackets and trousers. Personally I think he dresses with far better style than he did when I met him 21 years ago and he was still with his ex. I know he doesn't like blue denim jeans or t-shirts so I don't buy them. there are things I know he would look good in but I know he wouldn't want to be seen dead in. He's never bought me clothes because I love shopping!

Emu said:
For the past 18 years I've been buying my husbands clothes. He's 60 and hates going shopping. When we get the new season Next directory he always has a look. My step daughter thinks he's become very scruffy since he's been living with me but if he's happy to wear cargo shorts and a tottenham logoed polo shirt then surely that's up to him? He looks good in them so I'm not sure what her problem is. Work wise I buy him expensive shirts and ties (there's too many choices for him to make the decision) and he buys his jackets and trousers. Personally I think he dresses with far better style than he did when I met him 21 years ago and he was still with his ex. I know he doesn't like blue denim jeans or t-shirts so I don't buy them. there are things I know he would look good in but I know he wouldn't want to be seen dead in. He's never bought me clothes because I love shopping!

Great post Emu - for all 'us' calculating inquisitive sods :biggrin: on this forum it sounds like the opening paragraph of an interesting story!
But a Tottenham logo? Not very Jolly! :biggrin:

twowheelsgood

I think really as you get older it's a question of keeping fit and well groomed rather than clothing. No crazy eye-brows, ear or nose hair and clean shaving and looking after your skin. As long as the clothes are washed and ironed I don't think anyone really cares.

At some point in your 30s that oh so cool grunge-look mysteriously mutates into the tramp/dirty old man/mad scientist-look, needing only a 3-litre bottle of "white lightning", a test tube or a large raincoat to complete.

I think you can get away with fairly fashoinable things at your age. Basically British fashion is pretty conservative anyway. I mean consider the burberry thing a few years ago, even pringle has now come back!

As long as you aren't under the impression that being male and having a pony-tail over the age of 25 is in any way a good idea or that having less hair than before is a cue to growing the remaining in compensation, you should be fine.

simoncc

I'm not sure it matters what you wear when you are middle aged or at any other age. When I was young, I easily attracted my fair share of pretty young women whatever I wore. Now I won't attract pretty young women whatever I wear. I base this view on the fact that I attract just as many 18-20ish women (none) as all the men of my age that I know, and some of those men try hard to dress fashionably and keep up with the latest trends.

tomb1960

What a fascinating thread! I think there are two important points not yet dealt with. Firstly what the middle-aged man really needs is lots of pockets, so the pocket count of any garment is vitally important. Secondly.......ties what are they for? They don't keep you warm, they don't protect you from anything (on the contrary I can think of quite a few circumstances when they'd be downright dangerous), they don't look smart (well not the way I wear them they don't), and they add the awful stress of choosing which tie 'goes' with which shirt thus introducing delay when choosing one's oufit! Surely it's time for us to shed our ties and refuse ever to put them back on!

LOGAN 5

Go to a designer retail outlet such as Gunwharfe in Portsmouth. Designer labels at high street prices. Get yourself some proper advice from the sales staff. The older you get the smarter you should be. Baggy shorts, cargoes, t-shirts, polos or anything scruffy just looks dreadful. It's not that complicated to look good you just have to put in the effort.

Blokes like women to look nice so blokes should be interested in what they wear too. English men do tend to look a very predictable state. Continental men have so much more style. Dark coloured baggy swim wear for the beach is awful but in the local swimming pool even worse.

Have a hair style too rather than shave on No1 or 2 - looks like you can't decide how to have your hair so cut it all off. Doesn't look good.

Mrs Logan 5 is very hot of what to wear and what goes with what so that helps.

tomb1960 said:
What a fascinating thread! I think there are two important points not yet dealt with. Firstly what the middle-aged man really needs is lots of pockets, so the pocket count of any garment is vitally important. Secondly.......ties what are they for? They don't keep you warm, they don't protect you from anything (on the contrary I can think of quite a few circumstances when they'd be downright dangerous), they don't look smart (well not the way I wear them they don't), and they add the awful stress of choosing which tie 'goes' with which shirt thus introducing delay when choosing one's oufit! Surely it's time for us to shed our ties and refuse ever to put them back on!

Hasn't the tie already gone?

In some ways a shame but not much of one.

Ive got dozens, they are deep in wardrobe somewhere, I might get them out and send em to museum.

asterix

Comrade Member
Jeans, T-shirt. I have only one T-shirt with writing on. It was free and the writing says 'Screwfix'. Coincidentally I am wearing it now, together with said jeans and, having just knocked-off, boots with steel toecaps.

Oh well, time for a shower..

Top Bottom