Middle-aged blokes...fashion/style advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I wear shorts all summer..and mostly the winter as well inside. I have no idea about fashion. I would like th eladies to be more honset and tell us lost causes what they actually expect us to wear....(sorry chaps, I dont mean to call you lost causes..:biggrin:). I will wear anything I feel happy in or my wife likes me in...however I have woken up at last to the simple basic fact...

...it matters not what you wear, if you are a fat slob you are a fat slob, if you are fit, you are fit. Fit is attractive , fat is not. So i resign myself to get fit one day. :biggrin:

Noodley said:
FF, I shall put you out of your fashion misery style guru that I am.

Wear something by FCUK, that's real classy like. And a football shirt for evening wear, works a treat.

:biggrin::biggrin:

I cannot see why people criticise Rab. C. Nesbit's clothes.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have to say i have been completely at sea, fashion wise, since old St Michael popped his clogs.
My only rule now is no labels, if you want me to display a label then you give me the garment FOC.

SamNichols

My advice is nice, well fitted polo shirts and long sleeve polo shirts. Perhaps some nice knitwear - nothing lurid, but a nice thin merino (or if you have the money then cashmere) jumper. Some shirts (maybe cotton oxford white) and slacks - not chinos and unpleated. I'm a style guru, me.

Big Bren

I like to wear nice clobber, but not in a fashion victim sense. Also, Mrs B is very much into fashion and works in the industry, so I suppose I get pretty good advice.

FWIW, no matter your age, I reckon you can't go wrong with a decent pair of jeans and a white t-shirt, with a plain v-neck merino sweater over the top. Go to Gap for both at a reasonable price. Footwear - trainers or pumps during the day and formal shoes in the evening. If it's chilly, throw a suit jacket on and you're all set.

I'm not Gok Wan btw - I'm simply regurgitating what I've been told!

Bren

SamNichols said:
My advice is nice, well fitted polo shirts and long sleeve polo shirts. Perhaps some nice knitwear - nothing lurid, but a nice thin merino (or if you have the money then cashmere) jumper. Some shirts (maybe cotton oxford white) and slacks - not chinos and unpleated. I'm a style guru, me.
Ooooooooo get you! :biggrin::biggrin: :blush::tongue:

If anyone wants to feel better about stuff then mumble that you bought your stuff at 'Primani' - not Primark.:biggrin:

I like to look reasonably presentable (clean and casual) but have never worried about fashion. If my clothes are clean and they fit well, then I'm happy. Chinos, Timberlands, 501s and T-shirts tends to be my style when not in shorts or sandals.
I discovered this place many years ago, and have made many purchases from them via t'internet:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...Id=26&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=ln

I want to go to the States one year to do a bit of shopping. :biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
MMM a nice cardi,and a pair of black and white dog tooth slacks,just the job;)

Keith Oates

Janner
If it's hot through the day then shorts and light shirt. Out here in the hot evenings I always wear long trousers, socks and shoes, not for fashion but to stop the Mosquitoes biting my ankles. Apart from that I usually wear what I'm told!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I asked the question because Mrs RR constantly criticises me for being unfashionable. For about 3 years I've been toying with the idea of a pair of those calf-length trousers but after the slating they've had on here I have dropped the idea for good.

My work clothes and shirts take up less than 2 ft of space on the clothing rail in our bedroom. I have a drawer of socks and a drawer of shreddies, plus two drawers of cycling/walking clothes. That's it.

Weekend wear in winter: GAP chinos and polo shirt.

Weekend wear in summer: GAP shorts and polo shirt.

I refuse to shave my half-bald head, wear anything with a logo or wear trainers because I don't want to look like an ageing cock. I tuck my shirts into my trousers because I was taught that to leave it hanging out is slovenly and because I have a waist, which I'm proud to show at the age of 51.

Am I a hopless case then?

ChrisKH

Guru
As long as it's clean does it matter? Having said that I gag at Chav wear these days. I once tried on a pair of 3/4 length trousers and my Mrs. nearly died of laughter.

I generally wear what Mrs KH tells me to (I can't be bothered) but she does tend to pick me work shirts in pastels and I prefer a stronger colour or stripe.

Actually I'm pretty particular about what I wear at work and much as I love designer suits/shirts/shoes the fact is a) the cost is disproportionate to the benefit in most cases - unless you're James Bond or a very successful bond trader - and :biggrin: designer suits/shirts/shoes just do not (unless designed to do so) travel well in a rucksack. Hackett or Lewin shirts are all very well, but I've got to iron the buggers and they never look as good as when they were first in the packet. It's also more difficult to mix shirt suppliers as they come in different sizes, shapes, etc. Shopping's for girls IMO unless it involves some serious hardware. I prefer classic lines and will spend for a loved acquisition which will last. My watch for example is a basic Longines with a leather strap which I have had for 15 years. And you can only wear one watch at a time.

Like RR I'm half bald so get used to it. No point in going to a fancy hairdresser. So I just give it a number 2. I think shaved heads only work if you have soft features. Shave my head and I would look like an Essex drug dealer.

Weekends; shorts with anything. Even in the depths of winter. In fact I'd wear nothing at all being something of a sensual minimalist but I'd probably be prosecuted.

Top Bottom