Middle-aged blokes...fashion/style advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
During my Summer Clothing faux-pas thread, Ridgid Raider asked a very pertinent question:

"Okay, so what IS acceptable and stylish for a middle-aged male, oh arbiters of fashion?"

Well I certainly don't know...so who does?

FWIW, my summer-ish "Wardrobe" (dull though it is) for the 44 year-old not really the faintest fashion idea/interest slightly fattish bloke goes something like this...

Couple Polo shirts
Couple "Rugby Style Shirts" Musto/North Face
North Face/Craghopper Rohan short and long sleeve button shirts
Endless cycling and other event T-shirts...slightly baggy, several generations worth!
Blue Sprayway above the knee baggyish fat-bloke shorts with pocket on side
Purple Rohan mid thigh length shorts
Daniel Craig style speedo budgie smugglers in black
Speedo baggy swim/beach shorts
Craghopper long walking trousers
Chino's
Old pair Vans trainers
New Pair Karrimor trainers
Timberland Loafers
Columbia Sandals
Flip-flops, thick soled, canvas strapped and over 25 years old!
Ray-Ban Wayfarers

(NB: There is NO Blue-Harbour in that list OK).

OK....I just realised... I AM "Man at Millets" :biggrin::biggrin::sad::blush::biggrin:

Well shoot away....

zimzum42

Legendary Member
No crocs?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm an untidy slob, leather jacket and jeans and I don't give a shoot about fashion. I have often said to Mrs Smokin Joe, if when I retire I start wearing biege trousers and a short sleeved shirt in a light check with brown or grey shoes and my thinning hair back-combed she is to have me put down.

got-to-get-fit

do you live in some kind of mountain retreat???

1)Rohan gear......?
2)columbia sandals?
3)daniel craig style shorts when you are fattish?

......................Dude, come on! you should be put out of your misery.
Get thee to a store that has personal shoppers and get them to sort you out!

I'm an untidy slob, leather jacket and jeans and I don't give a shoot about fashion. I have often said to Mrs Smokin Joe, if when I retire I start wearing biege trousers and a short sleeved shirt in a light check with brown or grey shoes and my thinning hair back-combed she is to have me put down.

Sounds like the sort of thing teenagers were wearing about 6-7 years ago.

longers

Legendary Member
Sounds allright to me Fab, in fact it sounds like what I'm taking on holiday.
Apart from the budgie smugglers (lol at this btw :biggrin:)

Fashion is bollocks and I love a trip into town every now and again to see what madness passes for it nowadays.

Wear what you want with pride. Unless Mrs FF vetoes it.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

got-to-get-fit said:
do you live in some kind of mountain retreat???

1)Rohan gear......?
2)columbia sandals?
3)daniel craig style shorts when you are fattish?

......................Dude, come on! you should be put out of your misery.
Get thee to a store that has personal shoppers and get them to sort you out!

Where are such places...I tried Next once....came out looking like a badly dressed "Next-man"...even worse than Millets man IMO. Felt I should get myself off to Luton Airport for a package tour to Malaga straight away:wacko:

Like man at Musto though...but have more of a Florence and Fred budget...

If you are middle aged and want to look presentable wear a nicely fitted suit.

The rest of the time wear whatever you like(except logos), cos you are gonna look like a middle age bloke trying too hard if you ....erm ...try too hard!!

longers

Legendary Member
A bloke at work every so often gives his kids some pennies and they all go off clothes shopping for him. He says it works as he can't be bothered himself and it stops them moaning.

I agree with starseven about the logo's/brandnames - wrong at any age but difficult to beat as everybody wants you to pay good money for advertising their brand.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Cathryn said:
Quite excited by the Daniel Craig style shorts!! Do you perchance look like the delectable new Bond?

Indeed I do...but only in my dreams :biggrin:

My budgie is probably not up to 007 specification either :biggrin::biggrin::blush:

Clothes are cheap!
30+ years ago, I was an art school boy with Levis jacket (cord or denim) A T shirt and Levis/Lee jeans...
I used to do a lot of work for a jeans company and endless supplies of jeans and T shirts prevailed (Easy)...
Now, Primark tees and Tescos jeans - at £2.40 -10% or BOGOF = fantastic value! I am constantly messing stuff up.
The odd 'nice T shirt' or even a polo with said jeans gives them a cachet beyond their purchase price. Asda, Tescos etc all sell nice white T shirts which can be used to apply iron on graphics for that 'special occassion' too.
I don't wear the jackets much either - prefer a fleecy snuggly thing to ward of the bone - hunting chills :biggrin:
DMs or Adidas Gore Tex trainers/walking stuff and proper Caterpillar boots for stomping around looking busy.
Booooooooooring eh? :biggrin:

Noodley

FF, I shall put you out of your fashion misery style guru that I am.

Wear something by FCUK, that's real classy like. And a football shirt for evening wear, works a treat.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom