Might have caught someone in the act of nicking my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manualtypist

Sounds like they took a fancy to your bike and thought they'd try their luck. I know this sounds a bit crude, but I usually try and find a nicer looking yet more poorly locked up bike to lock up close to...then maybe potential thieves will go for the other bike...but I don't know...maybe all the bad karma will bite me in the butt one day... :tired:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Cable locks are useless. Gone in 30 seconds if the right people turn up and there were loads of vids of tests on youtube with clippers. :tired:

I use heavy duty chain at work, or if I'm not parking at work and on the street then I add a heavy duty D Lock.

Anyone touches my locks and I'll go nuts. You dont go up and try and open peoples front doors because you like the look of them. :wacko: Make sure you check the lock hasnt been tampered with glue or anything btw.

Crankarm

Guru
Even riding a bike of little monetary value I would NOT use a cable lock as basically they are CRAP. I just wouldn't want to get stranded. Years and years ago I learnt my lesson using one and a chain on my knackered rusty old Raleigh Carlton which I used for university. Their combined value was probably more than the bike, although Carltons in good condition are now collectors items. One evening having worked late in the library, I went out to the cycle racks to find my bike had gone, just the snipped locks remaining. However Sussex police actually recovered it from a local chav scum housing estate. Apparently they saw an 8 year old scrote riding around on it or trying to, so took it off his hands. As I had reported it about 10 days before my report must still have been on the coppers desk. I was over the moon, but on being re-united with it found that the scrote scum that had taken it had buckled both wheels and cut the saddle badly. But the night it was stolen I was left stranded and it was a real PITA. I also had my first Brompton stolen from outside Senate House, London University in Mallet Street in London despite being locked using a Kryptonite feck off D-lock in 2004. So never use Kryptonite D-locks - they are a load of rubbish.

As has already been said with a decent pair of wire cutters or a small set of bolt cutters cable locks and most chains can easily be snipped. Now it's Abus Granit D-lock every time for me.

As dz and others have said why didn't you film / take a pic of them? They could have stolen other bikes from the same place or nearby? I would have filmed them and probably told them to sling their hooks with colourful language as well :tired:.

rh100

Tesco might have a decent cctv image of them, might be worth having a word with the manager to alert them, might be enough to save someone else's bike later you never know.

Crankarm, you mention the Kryptonite being rubbish, does anyone know if a Kryptonite big thick cable lock is any good? (quite short with a fairly large cross section of cable, not the thin wiry ones).

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
rh100 said:
Tesco might have a decent cctv image of them
You having a laff? This is Market Rasen! No CCTV at our Tesco.
We still eat people out here in the sticks. We have only just got used to this new fangled leccy stuff. There are villages out here where people still run in fear when they see a horseless carriage.

Crankarm

Guru
User3143 said:
Cable locks are shoot (even the ones for sale at around £100) and can be cropped no problem with a pair of croppers that you can buy from Aldi for for under £30. The trouble with cable locks is that they work on the illusion that a big thick cable lock will be hard to cut but this is not the case at all and an pro thief will know this.

Get a decent D-Lock from Abus or a hefty chain.

+1.

Crankarm

Guru
Gixxerman said:
You having a laff? This is Market Rasen! No CCTV at our Tesco.
We still eat people out here in the sticks. We have only just got used to this new fangled leccy stuff. There are villages out here where people still run in fear when they see a horseless carriage.

........... but can shop at Tesco :angry:.

Top Bottom