Mileage recording devices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
In another thread someone mentioned the cyclometer, this got me thinking how I have recorded mileage and speed over the years, I had a cyclometer or something similar,

Then one of these, who remembers them,

The first computer I remember was an Avocet.

After this came several Cateye computers both wired and wireless.

The first GPS device I used was a Garmin Forerunner 410 watch strapped to the handlebars, I still use this on my wrist when MTB orienteering if I have a mapboard on the bars.

Then a Garmin Edge 500, followed by Edge 520.

I have on occasions used my Android phone and Strava app, usually when I forget to charge the GPS, but I keep the phone in my jersey pocket not bar mounted,

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The Wahoo Bolt is a bit of an improvement 😁

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had the Huret equivalent of that Smith's speedo, which had a cable running off a worm drive you fitted on the front axle.

I have wired Cateye computers on all my bikes. Av, Mx, Odo, Trp, Tm are all I need and they're reliable. None of this messing around with GPS, today I recorded 29.44 miles and afterwards Bikehike gave me 29.34, which is close enough.

The Cateye computer running on elapsed time was invaluable for Polaris Mountain Marathons as it gave you a very clear picture of the time you had remaining and we always made it back to base a few minutes before time penalties started. To lose points by being late seemed to us to be the worst possible waste of effort and in one winter event on Cheviot we came 17th out of all the Seniors because everybody else went for two high-value checkpoints up in slushy snow and wasted too much time getting there and back.

Last edited:
In another thread someone mentioned the cyclometer, this got me thinking how I have recorded mileage and speed over the years, I had a cyclometer or something similar,
View attachment 514579

View attachment 514580

View attachment 514581

The first GPS device I used was a Garmin Forerunner 410 watch strapped to the handlebars, I still use this on my wrist when MTB orienteering if I have a mapboard on the bars.

I have on occasions used my Android phone and Strava app, usually when I forget to charge the GPS, but I keep the phone in my jersey pocket not bar mounted,
I had the first one in the picture, and the last one. Never had a Smiths, except for a few in my Triumph Spitfire.

The Avocet one was a disaster. It requires special zinc/something batteries and a magnetic ring that had to be attached to the spokes. The bloody thing never worked properly. For a trip down memory lane, go to Avocet.com. The company went belly-up decades ago, but seemed to have paid for web hosting into eternity. The website is still up, complete with the latest (circa 19something) vintage stuff.

I still have my Garmin 205 as in HLab's photo. Never again. Now it is Cateye or nothing.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
if I remember correctly it connected to a small red coloured wheel that ran against your tyre?
I seem to remember you had to fit something to the front axle for it to connect to.

Slick

Guru
View attachment 514579

View attachment 514580

View attachment 514581

I remember both of them but I think I must have inherited the first one as it was stuck on 9999.

D

Deleted member 1258

I had the first one, the clicky mileometer, then moved to a cateye computer and that all I've had, I've never had the GPS ones, though I've used the GPS on the phone to record rides, I've got Ride with GPS on the phone.

Top Bottom