Mileage recording devices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I had one of the Smiths speedos as a kid, fitted to a 24” wheeled bike so it read much faster than I was actually travelling 😀. At some point in the mid-1970s our local council decided to tarmac all the cobbled streets making it much easier to set PBs screaming downhill!!!

More recently, had wired Cateyes, then wireless versions (still use one on my fixed), then bought a Garmin Edge 305 which I used for 5-6 years before upgrading to my current Garmin 810 about 7 years ago.

Main problem with the 305 was battery life - I ditched after it died just before then end of a 100 mile sportive (I was halfway up Brassknocker Hill in Bath at the time so on the edge myself too!) so the computer shows I only did 99.46 miles. Very irritating.

Drago

Legendary Member
Buried in the workshop I have a boxed 1950's cyclometer, and inside the box is a crime card of the era from Bedfordshire Constabulary. It basically says "if more people locked their bikes there wouldn't be any thievery, so lock it up and don't come whittling to us if you don't and someone pinches it because we won't care."

ExpatTyke

Yorkshireman in Deepest Somerset
I had the first one in my youth, I can remember the clicking as the pin hit the wheel

I had one of the first Avocets too, for an all too brief time. I unclipped it from the bike after a midweek club 10, while I was putting the bike into the back of my Mini estate, and put it on the roof.
It wasn't on the roof of course when I got home; very annoying, especially as the Avocet had cost me more than the car.

Slick

Guru
Nowt wrong with a Grifter.
Didn't say there was, I was obviously the coolest guy in the street when I had mine. I was just trying to link my memory of the gauge to an era which was best explained by the bike I had at the time. :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had a clicky mileometer. On my long rides/tours I also used to have an Ingersoll wristwatch mounted on my bars that gave me elapsed time. I could then work out my overall speed.

In my early 20s I used to go touring with a guy who was a bit more of a "proper cyclist" (his dad was a club rider and he used to ride with the club). I was a bit of an embarrassment to him at times with my tatty cobbled-together-from-cheapest-possible-components bike with its bottle cage made from a coathanger. He said, witheringly of my clicky mileometer "My mum has one of those". From which I took it that his mum wasn't the local TT champion.

I graduated to a wired computer of some sort from Halfords but that just didn't have the romance of the clicky mileometer - truly the first digital cycling gizmo.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I had most of the above, also a Huret Multito, belt driven Frenchness. And the Cateye, with the watch interface.

Top Bottom