Miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skyway

Regular
Hi I did 41 miles today on my m3l Brompton
Now with 16 in wheels does that mean I really done more that a big wheeled bike
I know it the same miles but work 3 times harder
Sound silly what I am saying but ?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Well of course you've done 16 miles whether you were on a unicyle, a clown bike, a Penny Farthing, or even pulling an Airbus with your teeth.
But you've likely expended some more effort than if you were on a big wheeled bike, yes. The exact magnitude, I don't know, but probably something in the region of 30 percent more given the wheel circumferences? This is highly dodgy fag packet maths, pure guesswork for the fun of it by the way, and should in no way be taken seriously. ^_^

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Good effort but a bit hard to quantify, as you could have been on flattish terrain, when some one could have done the same distance in the mountains on a 700C wheeled bike, even so you would probably have put in the same effort as a larger wheeled bike as no one in their right mind would ride it in too harder a gear.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well of course you've done 16 miles whether you were on a unicyle, a clown bike, a Penny Farthing, or even pulling an Airbus with your teeth.
But you've likely expended some more effort than if you were on a big wheeled bike, yes. The exact magnitude, I don't know, but probably something in the region of 30 percent more given the wheel circumferences? This is highly dodgy fag packet maths, pure guesswork for the fun of it by the way, and should in no way be taken seriously. ^_^
He said he did 41 miles. Been on the gin again? ;)
I‘d say that‘s good going on any bike, especially a Brompton in the wind today! 👍

41 miles on a Brommy is great going and certainly much harder than say same distance on a road bike.

I did 8km this morning with 5km towing the dogs in their trailer (bike + gear + trailer + dogs = 90kgs) and there was 200m of the uphill stuff in there (some 6-7%) my legs were more tired than if i'd ridden a usual 50km road bike rode:laugh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
41 miles on a Brommy is great going and certainly much harder than say same distance on a road bike.

I did 8km this morning with 5km towing the dogs in their trailer (bike + gear + trailer + dogs = 90kgs) and there was 200m of the uphill stuff in there (some 6-7%) my legs were more tired than if i'd ridden a usual 50km road bike rode:laugh:
No it’s not!
Small wheels make almost bugger-all difference.
The main issue with a Brommie is the upright riding position and aerodynamics. In all other aspects unless on really rough roads, small wheels make no difference.
Have done over 100 miles per day on my S6L without issue. Toured the outer Hebrides with full camping kit. Been up mountain passes. Done over 50 miles on my 3 speed BSA shopper.
Small wheels are no disadvantage.

@Skyway well done! There are no limits on a Brompton.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
He said he did 41 miles. Been on the gin again? ;)
I‘d say that‘s good going on any bike, especially a Brompton in the wind today! 👍

My brain doesn't do numbers well, it's why I added the caveat at the end. 😄
But good spot Vickster, thank you.

And it's an excellent effort, whether on a Brompton in the wind, a Penny Farthing, or towing an Airbus with your teeth, so I shall go back up thread and give the OP a well deserved "like".

@Skyway well done! There are no limits on a Brompton.
agree - posted it before, but:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I did a rolldown test on a very go-faster titanium Brompton with Kojak folding tyres, against a fairly standard touring bike. Really smooth tarmac.

It was no contest - the touring bike romped it. A Brompton requires more effort and it's far more marked on coarser surfaces.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I did a rolldown test on a very go-faster titanium Brompton with Kojak folding tyres, against a fairly standard touring bike. Really smooth tarmac.

It was no contest - the touring bike romped it. A Brompton requires more effort and it's far more marked on coarser surfaces.
Bike weights the same?
Aerodynamics the same?

It doesn’t matter greatly, different bikes take different efforts. My posties bike has big wheels but I wouldn't want to do the distances or terrain I can cover on the Brompton I wouldn’t want to ride my MTB far on the roads, but many do.
Point being small wheels are no barrier to distance or gradients and are not the effort many assume....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
41 miles on a Brompton is a leg stretcher for me and a few of my Brompton friends 😁. 126 miles has been my longest day and I will go for 186 miles (300km) this year.

But normally, it should really about the journey and not the miles 😁

Riding a Brompton is no more difficult to ride than any other bike over long or short distances. The trick is that you have to be totally aware that you will be slower than if you are riding a df bike. Once you accept that and ride accordingly. Its easy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom