Military Green Paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

I have a Montague Para bike and its colour is 'military green'.

I always only clean and pamper the moving parts and transmission only, going no further. Last night i put it in the shower and sprayed it with hot water.

It was rather satisfying to see all the gunge fall out of it [naturally i didnt use a lot of pressure esp at the bits where there are bearings] and after drying it, i noted the high number of chips in the paintwork.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows where i can get a small pot of 'military green paint' which could be used for the bike without it corroding it or harming the metals in any way... Perhaps one of those 'Airfix' pots from model toyshops' -what do you all think?????

Also, is there a drawback with using a stream of hot water on your bike to clean it?

Cheers

w

Last edited:
I have a Montague Para bike and its colour is 'military green'.

I always only clean and pamper the moving parts and transmission only, going no further. Last night i put it in the shower and sprayed it with hot water.

It was rather satisfying to see all the gunge fall out of it [naturally i didnt use a lot of pressure esp at the bits where there are bearings] and after drying it, i noted the high number of chips in the paintwork.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows where i can get a small pot of 'military green paint' which could be used for the bike without it corroding it or harming the metals in any way... Perhaps one of those 'Airfix' pots from model toyshops' -what do you all think?????

Cheers

w
From the greengrocer?

Military green is not an official name for a colour. If you want to match it, use the Pantone system or something similar.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You could ask Montague - I'm fairly certain that other manufacturers (Surly, to name one) have been good at helping customers find matches for their paint (my Olive Trucker is RAL6003).

Last edited:
OP
OP

139NI

You could ask Montague - I'm fairly certain that other manufacturers (Surly, to name one) have been good at helping customers find matches for their paint.

i didnt think of that. cheers. I am with the view that once the sell you a bike and its 7 yrs old, they tend not to be too helpful.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
i didnt think of that. cheers. I am with the view that once the sell you a bike and its 7 yrs old, they tend not to be too helpful.
If they aren't, you could try a model shop (match to one of those little Humbrol pots), or cover the chips with clear nail varnish.

subaqua

What’s the point
Humbrol , Revell, Tamiya. all do "enamel" paints it is a bit of luck getting required one though.

sometimes nail varnish colours match really well.

OP
OP

139NI

If they aren't, you could try a model shop (match to one of those little Humbrol pots), or cover the chips with clear nail varnish.
just got the reply [below] from MONTAGUE - at least they replied:

Hello William and thanks for your email.

Great news that your Montague Paratrooper is still going strong, we are pleased to hear that. Unfortunately, we do not have any paint that we could send to you as the bikes are fully heat treated and lacquered before boxing and delivery to our warehouse.

Whilst it is difficult to obtain any paint, you may get a better match with a nail polish!

Thanks for your enquiry

Helen

2x2 Ltd
01827 331099

I think i will head to halfords- Cheers all..

byegad

Legendary Member
Did you ask them for the RAL number? They should know what they used back then.

Top Bottom