Milk, or the lack of..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Even more disgusting than Smash...5 months living on UHT milk while on my Falklands tour...yuk.

I don't mind UHT milk - I always keep a few cartons in the cupboard, as living out in the boonies, it's a good standby. Also, Madam Lexi likes it, so there...

A friend uses soy milk as she's got an intolerance to dairy, so that's what I get in my tea when I go round. It's drinkable, but I wouldn't choose it unless I absolutely had to.

I'm with @ClichéGuevara insomuch that the plant milk is a jumping on the "trendy" bandwagon thing, same as a lot of the pretend meat products. I get it if you've got allergies or dietary requirements or what not, but it's not as green as people make it out to be.

Alex321

Veteran
We normally use UHT skimmed milk in tea (and coffee for my wife - I take mine black), and things like Ovaltine.

But always fresh whole milk on cereal.

My grandson has both dairy and soy intolerances, so uses Oat"milk". They are gradually accustomising him to dairy, so hopefully he will eventually be able to use normal milk.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The price some people will pay to appear 'trendy'.

Do you think that’s why people buy it? Even if it were ‘trendy’ people wouldn’t continue to buy something they didn’t enjoy.

I first tried it last year to reduce my dairy intake and I love the flavour. The almond isn’t as good but the coconut is excellent. They are the same cost as semi-skimmed milk at my local Aldi.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I only use milk on my morning porridge so have to use UHT as there is no handy alternative without driving down to the coop.
I generally buy at least a months supply on the mainland at every visit there as the price is substantially less.
Carton minimum size of fresh is 1Lt so most would be wasted as unusable since that amount would last me about a week to ten days.
I do keep some milk powder in stock so in emergency I could use that.
I worked on dairy farms and my grandparents had milk cows so I know what milk should taste like. The stuff you get nowadays is sterile and most of the cream skimmed off.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The almond isn’t as good but the coconut is excellent. They are the same cost as semi-skimmed milk at my local Aldi.
I'm sure you can imagine we get the real coconut water here, in fact the local coconut seller comes around every two or three days to top us up. I can't see how this, even with additives can be anything like or a substitute for milk. It is very delicious and very good for you though.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm sure you can imagine we get the real coconut water here, in fact the local coconut seller comes around every two or three days to top us up. I can't see how this, even with additives can be anything like or a substitute for milk. It is very delicious and very good for you though.

Is that only the loose water from the coconut though? I think the milk sold in cartons here is from the pressed coconut flesh so it’s a bit more substantial. I use it on cereal but I couldn't imagine using it as a substitute in tea or coffee.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I use it on cereal but I couldn't imagine using it as a substitute in tea or coffee.
Coconut milk is really nice in coffee (I don't drink tea, so can't comment on it).
It gets used no problem in coffee shops to make lattes and cappuccino, or you can add it cold to black coffee.
Almond milk one could make by using a juicer separator, expensive bit of kit though.
Oat milk is easily made by straining oats, water, vegetable oil that have been blended together.
Apparently, the oil is to make it creamier, can be substituted with cashew nuts.
I have tried to make oat milk, was good but became slimy on the second day.
Apparently, there are various tips for not getting a slimy result, but I have not yet investigated ^_^
I like all the milk alternatives, but I have noticed that Aldi's almond milk doesn't taste as good as Tesco's, while their own brand oat milk tastes better than a popular branded one.
Ime, all plant based milks work well as milk substitutes in baking.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We do not have these vegan eco people in Denmark. We have the opposite problem. The choice of milk is staggeringer. Do the eco people also demonstrate against eco milk?

It was not until we had the mink crisis (thats MINK not milk) That I found out how many millions of mink we had in Denmark, all being bred for the fur trade. There are mink farms hidden away very close to where I live. I never knew.

In about 14 years of living in Denmark. I never heard of one protest in this regard. Maybe because all the Danes have proper jobs to fill their days.

DRM

Guru
If there are protests by vegans, the whole lot should be prosecuted for causing animal suffering, the cows have to be milked, as there udders will be swollen, then that milk will end up down the drain , what a bunch of morons

Top Bottom