Milk, or the lack of..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If there are protests by vegans, the whole lot should be prosecuted for causing animal suffering, the cows have to be milked, as there udders will be swollen, then that milk will end up down the drain , what a bunch of morons

You have a point which I have raised before. If we all decided to go vegan. Would that then make all chickens, sheep, cows, pigs etc become extinct. Or do the eco people think they would all be kept as pets?

A vegans view would be welcome.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Still no milk whatsoever in Favell Tesco today. So the idiots are still drilling holes in £500 truck tyres, I guess.. That's great for the environment, isn't it!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
You have a point which I have raised before. If we all decided to go vegan. Would that then make all chickens, sheep, cows, pigs etc become extinct. Or do the eco people think they would all be kept as pets?

I think they believe they will be sent away to live on a farm .....

Johnsop99

Veteran

I made this same point on an internet discussion about 12 months or so ago. I made my point in a very polite way hoping for an intelligent and reasoned response. All I got was a load of abuse and swearing. I would still like to get a sensible vegan response. Until I do I shall carry on supporting our livestock farmers and avoiding products in the supermarket labelled vegan which will probably be for quite a while if vegans carry on with this attitude of theirs.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I made this same point on an internet discussion about 12 months or so ago. I made my point in a very polite way hoping for an intelligent and reasoned response. All I got was a load of abuse and swearing. I would still like to get a sensible vegan response. Until I do I shall carry on supporting our livestock farmers and avoiding products in the supermarket labelled vegan which will probably be for quite a while if vegans carry on with this attitude of theirs.

When you see most eco warrior discussions it ends up with m screaming and ganging up on the opposition. I think the animals are a part of their plan they have not worked out yet. It must be frustrating. :rolleyes:

Reactions: C R

FishFright

More wheels than sense

And now for a sensible answer.
They won't be replaced as they end their useful life , its not like everyone will go vegan on the same day.

Johnsop99

Veteran
And now for a sensible answer.
They won't be replaced as they end their useful life , its not like everyone will go vegan on the same day.
And who is going to pay for the animals "retirement", the period between the end of their useful life and their natural death? or are they just going to be slaughtered anyway.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
And who is going to pay for the animals "retirement", the period between the end of their useful life and their natural death? or are they just going to be slaughtered anyway.

Seriously ?? Do you think that global veganism will happed within the lifetime of a laying chicken ??

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm not sure that the 'swollen udders' argument is accurate.

Think about it, do human women continue to lactate once the baby has been weaned? Nope. So why would cows continue to lactate after their calves had been weaned?

I am no farmer, or expert in the field (heh), but I don't think it makes sense.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Think about it, do human women continue to lactate once the baby has been weaned? Nope. So why would cows continue to lactate after their calves had been weaned?

Cows have been bred to produce much more milk then they used to and nowadays have to been milked twice a day . It can rapidly become a problem.

Alex321

Veteran

I wouldn't make sense naturally, but over the centuries, cows have been bred to keep producing milk for at least 2-3 years after calving (and far more than a calf would need).

But if everybody turned vegan overnight, almost all farm animals would have to be slaughtered, because we would need the grazing land for growing food crops. Obviously, we aren't going to get the situation where everybody would turn vegan overnight, but even over a period, it would lead to similar.

I only drink UHT skimmed, I see no problem with my supply lol

Skimmed... Bleurgh!

Even the cats* turn their noses up at that, ergo I don't buy it, even on yellow sticker. I'm a full cream kind of girl. :blush:

* other than specially formulated cat's milk, cats really shouldn't be getting cow's milk because they are lactose intolerant. Although I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, because otherwise Madam Lexi helps herself from the milk jug. :blush:

Top Bottom