Milkmen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
There are about three family businesses still going, within a two mile radius of me, although I think the one just delivers to shops, rather than doorsteps.

petek

Über Member
IMG_4538.JPG

Do any of you know of any milkmen? I haven't seen one in my part of the world for yonks!
None round here but they were a common sight around Leicester where we used to live.
Kirby and West was the firm and they must have had scores of milk floats because you saw them everywhere of a morning.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Kids I knew would help the milkman out just for fun and a few quid. They would ride in the cab and deliver milk.
It would never happen now. Who would let their kids go off with the milkman for the morning?

midlife

Guru
View attachment 380046 Elaine is our milklady. Monday, Wednesday and Friday delivery from our local dairy in glass bottles by 6.00am. Pay cash on last Friday of the month or monthly on line.

It’s 50p/pint which is ridiculously low for real milk from a real farm - Denham Springs Farm. I’m glad to say several local shops have started stocking their milk, even the local Spar shop.

Orange juice visible as well :smile:.

Hyslop

Veteran
We get our milk delivered 3 times a week, and have done for ever. It is a little more expensive than buying it in the supermarket, but I like the convenience, and I particularly like helping to keep the milk round going. Some elderly neighbours who don't have internet skills (or maybe even a computer), and who can't drive, are reliant on the milkman for their fresh milk, and so I don't mind paying a few pennies extra per pint to help ensure the round continues.

Hyslop

Veteran
Couldn't agree more Talk about convenience, without the milkman,I'd have to go to convenience store (!)and for my Mum,at 96,the fact that her daily pinta is just outside her door is a great blessing.Like many of her generation,the day begins with tea,lots of it.It helped her see off Adolf she chuckles and she ain't stopping now.

I used to order milk in the mid to late 90s, and I'm not sure why I persisted. I possibly found it quaint, or I liked the idea of supporting the small business man. But our milkman had a huge semi-rural round and he'd drop ours off at about midnight after I'd gone to bed... on hot nights in the summer it was already off by the time you got up. Plus he couldn't be arsed collecting money on a regular basis, just used to stick an updated note in your door from time to time (again, at gone midnight). So by the time he did come round you owed about 46 quid which he expected you to have in cash.
It was a pretty outdated business concept even then, I'm surprised anyone still does it. The world moved on.

*Snigger*

Top Bottom