Milkmen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I used to order milk in the mid to late 90s, and I'm not sure why I persisted. I possibly found it quaint, or I liked the idea of supporting the small business man. But our milkman had a huge semi-rural round and he'd drop ours off at about midnight after I'd gone to bed... on hot nights in the summer it was already off by the time you got up. Plus he couldn't be arsed collecting money on a regular basis, just used to stick an updated note in your door from time to time (again, at gone midnight). So by the time he did come round you owed about 46 quid which he expected you to have in cash.
It was a pretty outdated business concept even then, I'm surprised anyone still does it. The world moved on.

Oldbloke

Guru
Aye there's a few round here. Miss Goodbody gets some every other day. And extra cream on Saturday.

I hear she likes her red top....

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I used to order milk in the mid to late 90s, and I'm not sure why I persisted. I possibly found it quaint, or I liked the idea of supporting the small business man. But our milkman had a huge semi-rural round and he'd drop ours off at about midnight after I'd gone to bed... on hot nights in the summer it was already off by the time you got up. Plus he couldn't be arsed collecting money on a regular basis, just used to stick an updated note in your door from time to time (again, at gone midnight). So by the time he did come round you owed about 46 quid which he expected you to have in cash.
It was a pretty outdated business concept even then, I'm surprised anyone still does it. The world moved on.
Our one delivers before 6.00am, leaves a weekly invoice, and we can pay online. Your milkman sucked.

Levo-Lon

Guru
We used to have the bakers van doing the rounds in the mornings.
It coincided with the walk to school.. That was so easy to rob.
Delivery man goes to door , pack of tunnocks wafers to go.. I feel guilty now in a full contented sort of way, waggon wheels too..mmmm they were huge back in the 70's

tyred

Legendary Member
Thinking about it, when I was young (1980s in a rural area) we had a milk man, a grocery man, a coal man and bread man that called on regular basis and that is where nearly everything we needed came from. Going to a supermarket was a rare treat at Christmas or whatever.

I remember the grocery van best - a bay window VW transporter of the type people pay silly money for now. He bought it new in about 1970 and it had around 700,000 miles on the clock when he retired in the early 1990s. I always remember the day he left the door open and our cat helped himself to a pound of mince from the van, the owner, on witnessing it from the kitchen window ran out and grabbed the cat, rescued the mince and patted the packaging back into place before setting it back on the shelf!

The modern day version of shopping is to sit in traffic and then stand in a queue in Tesco's.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
There is a milkman who's round includes our street - we don't use him, but a couple of our neighbours do. He gets here at about 5:30, but he drives a panel van and brings the milk in plastic cartons.

Go a mile up the road to Thorner though and they have a proper farmer doing the milk round and the milk is still delivered in traditional glass bottles.

And down in the city centre, there is still a proper old school electric milk float making deliveries - goodness knows where it comes from though!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Dairy Crest round here - took over from the Co-Op a few years ago. I get one pint of full fat milk in a proper glass bottle 3 times a week and have done for years - can't do without the cream of the milk on my Weetabix and the rest gets used in porridge. Just heard today's delivery being put on the doorstep (1am).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
701D77DC-B523-4A66-81DC-8AB381F3FEA0.jpeg Elaine is our milklady. Monday, Wednesday and Friday delivery from our local dairy in glass bottles by 6.00am. Pay cash on last Friday of the month or monthly on line.

It’s 50p/pint which is ridiculously low for real milk from a real farm - Denham Springs Farm. I’m glad to say several local shops have started stocking their milk, even the local Spar shop.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thinking about it, when I was young (1980s in a rural area) we had a milk man, a grocery man, a coal man and bread man that called on regular basis and that is where nearly everything we needed came from. Going to a supermarket was a rare treat at Christmas or whatever.

I remember the grocery van best - a bay window VW transporter of the type people pay silly money for now. He bought it new in about 1970 and it had around 700,000 miles on the clock when he retired in the early 1990s. I always remember the day he left the door open and our cat helped himself to a pound of mince from the van, the owner, on witnessing it from the kitchen window ran out and grabbed the cat, rescued the mince and patted the packaging back into place before setting it back on the shelf!

The modern day version of shopping is to sit in traffic and then stand in a queue in Tesco's.
At various relatives farms I can also remember a butchers van calling, and the one I remember was the sweeties van (I think it was probably the grocery van but I was presumably only interested in one of the contents of the van. And if you missed it then heading out across the fields to see if you could intercept it somewhere else along his route!

Top Bottom