Million, billion and trillion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It's complicated by the fact that different countries use different multipliers for the terms million, trillion, etc. Before my recent Italy / France trip, I was learning some Italian numbers, and the translation for billion in Italian wasn't what I expected, and I then found out that Australia is a "short scale country" while Italy is a "long scale country".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

LocalLad

What's after a trillion ?
I believe it's quadrillion, quintillion etx

LocalLad

It's complicated by the fact that different countries use different multipliers for the terms million, trillion, etc. Before my recent Italy / France trip, I was learning some Italian numbers, and the translation for billion in Italian wasn't what I expected, and I then found out that Australia is a "short scale country" while Italy is a "long scale country".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales
Interestingly, it always makes most sense to me to be a million million is a billion; a billion billion is a trillion etc... Which according to that link is longer than the long version

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
In China, they have words for 1, 10, 100, 1000, 10000, 100000000 (the last one being one hundred million)

No word for a million, or a billion. So seventy three million is expressed as "seven ten three thousand ten thousands". With that system they're good up to 9.999 x 10,000 x 100,000,000 which is, I think, nine hundred and ninety nine trillion. Should be enough

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Keith and Viv Nicholson won about 160 grand on the pools in the 60's..3.5 million value now..
They really did spend spend spend..
160 grand would get a modest house these days..

screenman

Legendary Member
upload_2017-8-27_7-38-38.png

Oxo

Guru
I have no idea what you are on about.

1. 10x1 is 10, not 100.
  2. Your sequence makes no sense 1 100 1000 1000000? What's the pattern?
Big night?
0 x 0 = 00
0 x 00 = 000
0 x 000 = 0000 etc

No big mystery, nothing to it really.

Top Bottom