Million, billion and trillion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The hubble volume is around 10^31 light years. That's 31 zeroes and 19 more zeroes than the short form of a trillion.

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes, and an estimated 12 billion planets containing life - I wonder if he spread his biblical tale around, in which case they presumably know about Earth and the cross incident...

Why would the bible be spread among nonhumans? It's for humanity alone.

You're ok I have this one covered, I used to do something similar during hide and seek in the late 70s - one, two, three, one million, coming ready or not...

My brother used to 'play' hide-and-seek with his two daughters,

They'd go and hide, but after ten minutes of waiting in a hiding place full of rapidly decreasing excitement, they get bored and come out to see what he was doing (watching TV/reading a book): he'd hear them coming, say '98 99 100 - coming' and then 'find' them straight away and say 'OK, we'll have another game next week. :laugh:

Oxo

Guru
In the string theory landscape there are theorised to be 10^500 combinations of parameters.

An identical copy you you may be 10^10^29 metres away. That is a lot larger than a googol, but a lot smaller than a googleplex.
In layman terms, is a Googleplex the answer to the age old problem, 'How long is a piece of string?

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Why would the bible be spread among nonhumans? It's for humanity alone.

Who's to say humans are exclusive to earth? It is an interesting evolutionary question - if the environment is similar to earth, which is almost certainly the case for several million of those planets, will the evolutionary process result in humans or human like animals.

There may also be several billion different gods (or, more probable, several billion different civilisations who, like us, have fabricated gods).

We've probably strayed a little far from the op!

PK99

Legendary Member
I was reading about big numbers earlier. Million I get. Billion I get. But a trillion is near unfathomable.
To count to a trillion, and for the sake of argument, one increment/second would take as near as damn it 31,700 years. Gulp. US debt is currently about £20 trillion. Counting to a million is approx 11 days...

by coincidence I was chatting with a paleoentologist at the Tyrell Dinosaur museum in Drumheller, Canada yesterday.

Early in her training her class had been sent off to come up with mental images that put across the real scale of geological time.

Hers was:

Take some normal photocopier paper. Stack up 1 Billion (us version) sheets. How high is the pile?

have a guess before looking below.
4 times the height of Mount Everest.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's such a pain making sure my boss has put the required number of zeroes on my pay cheque every month.

Tin Pot

Guru
Who's to say humans are exclusive to earth? It is an interesting evolutionary question...

Umm, no it's not interesting evolution-wise because it says nothing about evolution. Only in a near or actual infinite universe could the same Homo sapiens species evolve, so it's interesting only from a probability point of view, which is the same as just saying 'it's not interesting at all.'

Top Bottom