Milton Keynes Cycling - things to see - places to go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Afternoon all

It's almost Brompton day and for my first trip with it I have booked the train down to Milton Keynes for the day / early evening.

I have a slot booked at Bletchley Park and at the National Computer Museum, has anyone take their Brompton in either? I have a bag to out it in if required.

Other than riding down to Bletchley has anyone else got any recommendations of nice rides around the red routes and things to see? Somewhere I can get a tea before getting in the train would be a good destination.

I will probably have 4 hours or so, but may spend some of it in Rutland Cycles.

Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
The Milton Keynes Redway system is not without its faults, but is still an incredibly useful system.

Up that end of town is a little bereft of attractions, but if you're at Bletchley Park the National Museum of Compiting is interesting.

Caldecote Lake isn't much of a ride and is quite pleasant and somewhere to grab a bite to eat.

If you ride to CMK Campbell Park is nice and has a nice viewpoint which looks out across North Bucks. From there its downhill back to Bletchley, or you can get the train at MK.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I have a booking at the National Museum of Computing, that's actually my main reason for going.

I will be heading straight to Bletchley from MKC station in the morning then in the afternoon I have the free time so will be starting from Bletchley and need to end back at the Station.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think the limiting factor may be GDZ's time window. 4 hours - 30 to 40 minutes going each way, leaves not much over 2 hours at the museum and no time for anything else.

Do you realise that Bletchley Park is opposite Bletchley Railway station, which is on the same line as MK? The express services don't stop there, but the main ones do. Ditto Wolverton if your're ever up that end of MK. Getting off and on the train at Bletchley will save you a boat load of time.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Sorry I wasn't clear, I have 4 hours clear after I have had my time at the museum's. I am in MK for almost 12 hours in total.

My train is the Manchester to London one so it only stops at MK.

Current itinerary

0730 Arrive at MK Central
0730 - 0930 Ride to Bletchley her some breakfast
0930 - 1230 Visit Bletchley park
1230 - 1430 Visit the National Computer Museum
1430 - 1830 time to explore
1900 train home

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Willen Lake is popular, and a decent surface all the way round, and the Peace Pagoda is quite impressive, too.

Willen Lake looks perfect, I will add that to the route.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're looking on a map, head NE out of Bletchley and then try and pick up a Redway along the V10 and that will take you to Willen. The church at Willen is worth a visit, designed by Robert Hooke, and has an OS benchmark to bag.

It's uphill back to CMK from there, but it's not that bad and only 2 miles or so.

what date are you planning on going?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Willen Lake looks perfect, I will add that to the route.
It can be busy during school hols and at weekends, but the rest of the times are not too bad. There's food, coffee and ice cream stops, too!

Edit: to the south of Willen Lake, you can extend the ride into Ouzel Park.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Willen Lake
If you're looking on a map, head NE out of Bletchley and then try and pick up a Redway along the V10 and that will take you to Willen. The church at Willen is worth a visit, designed by Robert Hooke, and has an OS benchmark to bag.

It's uphill back to CMK from there, but it's not that bad and only 2 miles or so.

what date are you planning on going?

I am going on Tuesday (7th Sept). I will try and get a print off of the redway map.

It can be busy during school hols and at weekends, but the rest of the times are not too bad. There's food, coffee and ice cream stops, too!

Edit: to the south of Willen Lake, you can extend the ride into Ouzel Park.

That looks like a good option too.

Or ride down to Woburn Deer Park which is a nice little place. Enjoy some food in Woburn. Then back.

That does look nice,, not sure I will have time but I will keep it in mind.

Top Bottom