Milton Keynes Cycling - things to see - places to go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I took my car for service near Willen lake. I hired a bike near one of the pub/hotels (like Boris bikes) and rode around Willen lake seeing the sites, then went down to Caldecott lakes via cycle ways, did a loop and returned back for something to eat. By then my car was ready. Nice place worth another visit one day:okay:

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Shame, Im busy tuesday or id rv for a forum photo op.

If things change let me know.

I took my car for service near Willen lake. I hired a bike near one of the pub/hotels (like Boris bikes) and rode around Willen lake seeing the sites, then went down to Caldecott lakes via cycle ways, did a loop and returned back for something to eat. By then my car was ready. Nice place worth another visit one day:okay:

I think I try and visit both those lakes. I also want to allow time for a quick delivery of supplies for the journey home using one of the Starship Robots.

Drago

Legendary Member
I volunteer to do covid testing at a local school andnim down for that day. Part of my civic duty.

The robots are awesome, and much loved. Sadly, I live across the vorder in Poshshire and they don't come to our village.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Well yesterday was the day. Great train ride down from Manchester, visited Bletchley Park and the National Computer Museum and then had a good old wander around.

Ended up riding from Bletchley to Caldecotte Lakes then up the Ouzel Valley to Willen Lake. I then did a lap of that and headed in the centre via the odd monument on the hiil, the Brompton made light work of the gravelly path up.

Spent the rest of the time in the centre and visited Rutland and Decathlon.

All in all a great day. Ended up riding about 25 miles or so.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Yes a good time was had.

To be honest there where some parts of the cycle route that baffled me, where it would just disappear or the NCN Route 51 which for some reason takes you through a shopping centre and requires you to dismount.

Drago

Legendary Member
The flaw being cycling on the roads, if you're passing through with no prior knowledge or information about the cycle network. It's like navigating a cross between Hampton Court maze, and a sheet of graph paper.
But if you have even a cursory knowledge it is very easy and intuitive to navigate.

Its a grid layout. Horizontal roads are designated with an H, vertical with a V. Once you've twigged that it suddenly becomes easy to navigate by dead reckoning. Try doing that in Coventry or Glasgow if you're a stranger with no knowledge.

Then downside is that occasionally, as Zoid discovered, the system can be a bit odd and contradictory. There are also places where the layout is lacking and thoughtless. Nevertheless, I have yet to find any large town in the UK that comes anywhere close to being as cycle friendly once you're aware of the basic premise of the layout.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Looks like yoy had a good time. It has its flaws, but is still one of the nicest towns in the UK in which to cycle.
Stevenage is pretty good for for cycling too. Again, it has its flaws.

Top Bottom