Mini pump - am I a weakling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like the cheap, long frame-fitting pumps, if only for the reason that they are not too expensive if I break one.

I once had a really expensive (to me) pump, I think it was a Blackburn. Dropped it out of my bag onto a road, and it was ruined - a little dink in the aluminium wall made it unusable.

The schrader adapters on them are a pain though. Presta is best.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

Thanks for the feedback folks. It seems I may not be quite the weakling I thought. Though TBH I ought to do some weight/resistance training. As I hardly ever get punctures, and at the moment I don't do multi-day tours, I suppose I can either keep the (frame mounted) mini-pump, which did at least get enough air in to get me home (where I have a track pump) and/or carry a CO2 thingy.

Though I was kind of lusting after a full size frame pump.

On the plus side, I know I don't need to carry a pressure gauge. Just keep pumping till I really can't do anymore!

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I oil my mini-pump barrel. A Lezyne Pressure Drive mini-pump, 80psi is not a problem for me, great mini-pump. CNC machined aluminum.

65493.jpg

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

I oil my mini-pump barrel. A Lezyne Pressure Drive mini-pump, 80psi is not a problem for me, great mini-pump. CNC machined aluminum.

View attachment 701213

I like the look of that. Some of the ones with a hose have it externally, that looks a lot neater. Also in colours, I could get one to match the frame. Couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1. You say you can get to 80psi. Would you describe yourself has having very good upper body strength? I'm not a weakling, particularly, but I
definitely don't have bulging biceps. With my current setup I only need to get to 50-60 psi.

2. Is yours the mini or the medium version?

Thanks

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I like the look of that. Some of the ones with a hose have it externally, that looks a lot neater. Also in colours, I could get one to match the frame. Couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1. You say you can get to 80psi. Would you describe yourself has having very good upper body strength? I'm not a weakling, particularly, but I
definitely don't have bulging biceps. With my current setup I only need to get to 50-60 psi.

Thanks

Medium will be easier to pump. Just be careful with the screw on hose especially if you have those awful Continental tubes with the screw in cores (DAMHIKT)

Windle

Über Member
There was a local club legend, not long after I started riding, of a chap who stuffed grass in his tyre to get home from quite a long way out (Hamsterley Forest back to Durham I recall). Whether this was due to pump breakage or lack of spare tube was never explained ~ I, however must have misunderstood what 'stuffing grass into your tyre' meant (careful), and one evening after a local club 10 which I'd done without taking a spare tube (weight saving obviously) I punctured.... so having located the hole I proceeded to stuff grass in, but between the holed tube and tyre to form a seal (rather than filling the whole tyre as I later realised was meant in the story), then pumped it back up ~ it only stayed up! I got home no bother and I seem to recall it was still holding a fair bit of pressure the next day when I got round to fixing it properly ^_^.

GuyBoden

Guru

Thanks

I have two Lezyne mini-pumps, I am over 6ft, I have average upper body strength for an old bloke.

The hose slots into the top of the pump, these:
https://www.wiggle.com/p/lezyne-pressure-drive-pump?color=blue&valveType=Presta+|+Schrader

Video Here:
https://www.google.com/search?chann...s+youtube#kpvalbx=_mlbKZO23G_iyi-gPvvqfsAs_30

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Thanks

I have a (slightly older than pictured) mini Leyzne and yes 80spi is achievable for mortals and 50-60 no problem at all, they are one of the better mini pumps around. The medium will give even more umph but, doesn't fit in my saddle pack. With a hose I find it much easier to pump harder than those that fit "solidly" to the valve, and you don't risk damaging the vale whilst pumping.. As @vickster says if you have removeable valve core you need to ensure they are tight - a tweak with pliers is fine- otherwise you can unscrew the core as you take the pump out.

Sharky

Guru
There was a local club legend, not long after I started riding, of a chap who stuffed grass in his tyre to get home from quite a long way out (Hamsterley Forest back to Durham I recall). Whether this was due to pump breakage or lack of spare tube was never explained ~ I, however must have misunderstood what 'stuffing grass into your tyre' meant (careful), and one evening after a local club 10 which I'd done without taking a spare tube (weight saving obviously) I punctured.... so having located the hole I proceeded to stuff grass in, but between the holed tube and tyre to form a seal (rather than filling the whole tyre as I later realised was meant in the story), then pumped it back up ~ it only stayed up! I got home no bother and I seem to recall it was still holding a fair bit of pressure the next day when I got round to fixing it properly ^_^.

My dad used to tell me that as well, from his pre ww2 days

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a (slightly older than pictured) mini Leyzne and yes 80spi is achievable for mortals and 50-60 no problem at all, they are one of the better mini pumps around. The medium will give even more umph but, doesn't fit in my saddle pack. With a hose I find it much easier to pump harder than those that fit "solidly" to the valve, and you don't risk damaging the vale whilst pumping.. As @vickster says if you have removeable valve core you need to ensure they are tight - a tweak with pliers is fine- otherwise you can unscrew the core as you take the pump out.

I have buggered the valve while pumping but that’s more user error than a reflection on the pump :rolleyes:

presta

Guru
the last few strokes before I gave up were hard work. Probably good for the chest muscles, or something.
And therein lies the problem with any pump that plugs directly onto the valve: you're trying to compress the pump between outstretched arms. Of course it's hard work. On the other hand, a pump with hose has the freedom of movement to brace your left hand holding the cylinder against your knee, making it nearly as easy to use as a track pump braced against the floor.

Until I was about 50 I used traditional aluminium pumps that fit between pump pegs with a hose in the handle, the last one was ~35 years old when it expired, and I never knew what a PITA pumps and pumping could be until I was forced to use something else.

The first alternatives I tried were the cheap Zefal plastic ones, but the first jumped out of the pegs and got lost, and the second melted: the heat softened the plastic to the point where the little brass bush that the hose screws into extruded itself out of the end of the cylinder. I tried a pump that plugs onto the valve, with the obvious result, so that went back to the shop. I repaired my aluminium pump and used that for a while, but what made me give up with it in the end wasn't the pump itself, it became impossible to find good quality hoses once they were out of fashion and only used by 'weirdos' like me. Half a dozen uses and they developed aneurysms, and burst like bubble gum.
hose is a good idea as it's possible to pull the valve away from the tube during furious pumping with a normal one
Being as my pump is the only thing between me and a 20 mile walk when I get a puncture, I've always regarded pump reliability with the seriousness it deserves. You need something simple and good quality, with nothing much to go wrong and standardised spares that are readily available, just like pumps always used to be until some bright spark thought they needed 'improving'.
I’m currently trying an electric Fumpa nano pump. It’s about the size of a matchbox and makes a loud farting noise, but does inflate from flat to 80 psi in less than a minute.
They're great aren't they. Until you get a puncture in a storm in the middle of Rannoch Moor and find the battery's flat.
i carry a topeak road morph
I bought the Turbo Morph because I preferred the dial type gauge to the inline one, but it has a larger diameter cyclinder so it's getting hard work by 70-80psi. Fortunately my tyres are rated at about 80psi max anyway, so I got by. It's the best of a bad job, but it's just a hotch potch of unnecessary bits & pieces to get broken and leave you stranded.
Presta is best.
Kind of you to say so. ^_^

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

One idle summer day, many years ago, a friend of mine and I were in a place that had (a) huge piles of cut grass and (b) some old bikes. So we decided this was a perfect opportunity to test the grass-stuffing myth (to fill the whole tyre, not to slow the escape of air as in your case).

We spent a merry afternoon stuffing more and more grass into the tyre. We improvised grass stuffing tools. We discovered methods for getting maximum grass into the tyre. It was never anything more than a total failuire.

After a whole afternoon of failure we called it as myth busted.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

One idle summer day, many years ago, a friend of mine and I were in a place that had (a) huge piles of cut grass and (b) some old bikes. So we decided this was a perfect opportunity to test the grass-stuffing myth (to fill the whole tyre, not to slow the escape of air as in your case).

We spent a merry afternoon stuffing more and more grass into the tyre. We improvised grass stuffing tools. We discovered methods for getting maximum grass into the tyre. It was never anything more than a total failuire.

After a whole afternoon of failure we called it as myth busted.

Damn. And there was me thinking I might get away with not carrying a pump at all. If I could use the old grass stuffing method.

Actually, I'd never heard of this. So it's a myth busted very quickly, for me.

Top Bottom