Mini pump - am I a weakling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another vote for the Road Morph or a cheaper (but slightly bigger) option of the Lifeline Motion Floor Mount Mini Pump which is very similar in operation but currently £13 at Chain Reaction Cycles

I hardly ever get punctures. In fact the last one I had was a slow one that allowed me to get home to fix. I have anti-puncture tyres.

But I like to be prepared. So I carry tyre levers, spare inner tube, and a patch kit. Today I thought I should try pumping the tyre up with the mini-pump I carry. I just got it to 48psi (measured with my Topeak digital gauge, which may well be reading low). I really couldn't get any higher than that. Is this usual for mini-pumps, or am I a pathetic weakling?

I was considering a frame pump, but does that still get as hard to pump as the pressure goes up, or is it just faster?

Thanks.

I carry a CO2 cannister for the odd time I need to get higher pressure and fast but most times I just use my hand pump to get me home; 48psi will easily get you home or even a whole ride. I think I've been carrying the cannister round for a few years :laugh:

DogmaStu

I carry a tiny KTM pump which fits in the palm of my hand that has a built-in C02 adapter. I've used it a few times before - more than a year ago now - and it was fine, but not sure how much PSI it put in, just that I continued and didn't feel any slower. I sometimes carry a Fumpa electric - more so when on my gravel and MTB bikes.

I run tubeless on all my bikes since though and have yet to puncture on a tubeless set up. If I did, I'd only need 50-60psi on my road bike, 35-40 psi on my gravel bike.

Windle

Über Member
This is my tiny 1980's one. It has Ciclo something or other, on the end and was apparently Made in Italy.

GOPR0271.JPG

Attachments

• GOPR0270.JPG
    GOPR0270.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 3

Mike_P

Guru
I have a Lezyne Road Drive pump on the road bike but if it's a complete flat (or near) a CO2 canister through an on / off valve gets used.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Co2, life's too short to be messing and they work great.
I've got a planet x (phart?) Pump too for tours and commuting just in case. Not mini but fits in a handlebar bag and can get around 60 to 70 psi in easily enough.
If and when I ever upgrade it'll be one of them leyzine pumps mentioned here, my mate has one and they are a good bit of kit

Top Bottom