Mini Pump, Co2, Both?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Lewis

Hi All

Im after some help and advice - I picked up a puncture out on the orad last night, changed the tube and pumped up my tyre using a cheap mini pump from Aldi for the first time - Wow it was hard work, i must have been pumping for about 5mins and still maximum of 50PSI.

So i need a new Pump - Any recommendations?

Co2- Whats best?, can co2 only use a little bit of gas or do you have to empty the bottle?

Thanks

Alun

Guru
You have to empty the cylinder, but they are cheap enough if you by them in bulk.
Try this site http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/
Having said that, I still carry a pump as well!

I've bought a bunch of co2 From Wiggle for not very much but I always carry a mini pump too.

EDIT I have the C02 for dealing with flats - I empty the cannister and get aournd 80-90PSI. My minipump is the same as yours, I get to aorund 50PSI before my arm falls off. I've not bothered getting anything bigger as the pump is just the emergency backpu for cannister failure so not too worried about it.

Last edited:

DRHysted

Guru
I only carry co2. Used it for the 1st time last month, and it inflated the tyre so quick I put it back on just to check. It didn't empty the entire cylinder (theres still some in there now), but I always carry one more cylinder than tubes (Commuter has 2 tubes 3 co2 cylinders, New Forest Sportive bike 4 tubes 5 co2 cylinders).
2 years ago I punctured in the middle of a swarm of midges, by the time I had got enough air in the tube using the mini pump I was using back then, I was hopping mad. Bought myself a co2 pump the next day.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I always carry both. You've only got to have missed a tiny sliver of glass in the inner tyre, then you're onto another canister or s**t out of luck. Then another puncture and you're truly screwed if 80 miles from home! I've been there!!

I carry a tiny airstik in the carbons seat pack plus 2 co2s. If you're bothered about the extra 40g, have a wee!

You can get pumps that hold co2 too.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You can get co2 that has a controllable valve. Apart from a short ride a pump as well is a wise precaution.

stephec

Legendary Member
It's got to be both for me, what would happen if you only had CO2 and didn't seat the tyre bead quite right before you hit the button?

The tyre pops off the rim and you end up having to deflate the tube and start all over again, not that I've ever done that myself. :blush:

compo

Veteran
I use a proper pump, a vintage Bluemells alloy one. Pumps up the tyres rock hard effortlessly and I don't leave CO2 cartridges littering the countryside or wear myself out trying to pump up my tyres with a glorified hypodermic sized toy.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I carry both and when i use the cartridges i put them back in my bag/pocket and dispose of them in the correct manner

But i wont assume that others litter the countryside with them.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
But i wont assume that others litter the countryside with them.
An awful lot of folk seem to, sadly. Good on you for taking yours away.

To the OP, my vote would be for a proper pump - if your frame will take one (and not all of these new fangled aero crabon/hydroformed frames will) something like the Topeak Road Master Blaster, if not, a Specialized Air Tool Road. Either will do a ride continuing pressure (rather than a limping home hoping the tube doesn't pinch pressure) easily.

Top Bottom