Mini-Roundabout Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got a feeling that some drivers honk when they sense the rider is unsure. I had that and when I became confident, the honking died down.

vickster

Legendary Member
don't know what you are thinking, sorry, I mean regular normal bike lights. also high-viz clothing is helpful. basically, we are asking car drivers to please give us some courtesy & not to kill us
You said strobes, which are bright. I've never seen the point of bike lights in the daytime but ymmx
The jury is rather out on hi-viz especially at night (I will wear in poor weather or at dusk)
I think if a driver isn't looking or is actually being an inconsiderate impatient twunt, they aren't going to see you or pay heed to you regardless of whether you are lit up like a Christmas tree or not

You said strobes, which are bright. I've never seen the point of bike lights in the daytime but ymmx
The jury is rather out on hi-viz especially at night (I will wear in poor weather or at dusk)
I think if a driver isn't looking or is actually being an inconsiderate impatient twunt, they aren't going to see you or pay heed to you regardless of whether you are lit up like a Christmas tree or not
OK, don't use cycling safety gear in a roundabout ...

mustang1

Guru
I try and get into the middle of the lane well-before the mini-roundabout and as mentioned above, it helps by keeping the speed high (for a cyclist) but if you cannot maintain that, then to the hell with the honking. Just before turning, I lower my shorts from the rear so everyone can see my ass and then they act all shocked and surprised. This usually stops the traffic from the back but I have eyes to check traffic in front so that's ok.

I then stick out my right hand as dictated by the highway code and also stick my middle finger up at the same time, occasionally waving it like the royals do. This then stops the traffic in the front and to the right thus making the way clear for me.

I once walked into a cafe and forgot to pull my shorts up from the rear but that's another story.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, don't use cycling safety gear in a roundabout ...
:rolleyes:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The best and only safety gear is free. Its knowing what is going on all around you at all times. The driver five cars up determines what the one right in front of you is likely to do next. Regular lifesaver glances behind build a picture as well. The kid on the pavement bouncing the ball does it look controlled. Approach the roundabout as the experienced contributions have already said and remember you have as much right to be there as the car drivers.

DRM

Guru
I think calling them mini roundabouts is part of the problem. They are roundabouts and roundabout rules apply, there's nothing special about them, they just happen to be small.
Mini roundabouts are the most stupid thing ever invented, all they do is cause confusion, for example because users are all on top of each other, everyone gives way to the right, as you should, but no one moves as they’re all giving way to each other

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I guess the issue is how far in advance of the mini roundabout do you change from "normal" road position (which will permit cars to overtake) to a position in centre of the road preparing to turn right and not permitting cars to overtake

On a flattish road my strategy is to start looking over my shoulder with about 50m to go. Keep looking and if the car behind seems to be easing back, I signal and move carefully to the middle of the lane, looking behind repeatedly. Then pedal as fast as possible and indicate again when I arrive at the roundabout.

Uphill...maybe wait until a bit nearer. Downhill...the opposite

Never had a car driver have an issue with the above

Top Bottom