Mini-Roundabout Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tropicaljones

Hi

I've just started commuting by bike and haven't ridden much since I was a kid. On my route I have a couple of right turns on mini-roundabouts and they cause me some problems. I've tried approaching them in two different ways:

1. I go in the middle of the lane and turn right as I would in car. I've been honked and had a bit of abuse a few times already for blocking the lane and/or been overtaken on the roundabout by people also turning right
2. I stay over to the left but signal right before entering. When I try this cars going straight on overtake and block me from turning.

I don't seem to have the same problems if I go in the right lane on bigger roundabouts. How can I do this better?

Thanks in advance

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
1. I go in the middle of the lane and turn right as I would in car. I've been honked and had a bit of abuse a few times already for blocking the lane and/or been overtaken on the roundabout by people also turning right
This is the way I would do it and to hell with the honking and abuse. I can't help with the morons that continue to try and get past unfortunately.

It helps if you are moving quickly, but as you can only go when the way is clear then this isn't always possible as inevitably you will sometimes have to stop (something the car drivers seem to forget when it comes to roundabouts!).

Sounds like you are well versed on roundabout etiquette so I assume you also drive? I don't think there is much more you can do, just make sure to be confident and assertive, take the lane effectively to try and reduce the opportunity for overtake attempts. It does help if you have 'attitude'. I don't mean aggressive or abusive, but confidence and a fk U stare can often put a cocky driver in their place once they realise you ain't moving out of their way.

Perhaps contradictory to that last piece of advice, if it is really bothering you then maybe consider avoiding the situation all together by changing route, getting off the bike and negotiating the roundabouts on the pavement by foot or pull over at a safe place and wait for a break in the traffic to cross the junctions? At the end of the day you want to arrive at the destination safely and without stressing so discretion is definitely the better part of valour, especially when a trip in the flashing blue light fun bus is the alternative!.....

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes be assertive and don't worry, you will always get morons who honk at you. It's a lot easier if the road is flat; they are more tricky IME if steep uphills. Just be aware that some people will plough on through even though you are indicatin and/or turning right. Some people just think that if they're going faster then it's their priority. And some just don't know how roundabouts work, it's a wonder they ever got a license

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Hi

I've just started commuting by bike and haven't ridden much since I was a kid. On my route I have a couple of right turns on mini-roundabouts and they cause me some problems. I've tried approaching them in two different ways:

2. I stay over to the left but signal right before entering. When I try this cars going straight on overtake and block me from turning.

I don't seem to have the same problems if I go in the right lane on bigger roundabouts. How can I do this better?

Thanks in advance

Signal right before you move out and keep signalling as you go round the roundabout. That should stop cars that are going straight on from overtaking and left-hooking you. Experience will teach you how far right you need to move out in order to achieve that (bear in mind that keeping your right hand out effectively makes you wider and therefore harder to pass).

If moving out results in cars overtaking you on the inside, be careful, although it's unlikely they will do that unless turning left or going straight on, so they shouldn't present any danger to you.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just be aware that some people will plough on through even though you are indicatin and/or turning right. Some people just think that if they're going faster then it's their priority. And some just don't know how roundabouts work, it's a wonder they ever got a license
I forgot to say, always assume every driver will try to kill you. It's a plan that has worked well for me, and even then I ended up in hospital with a broken neck and fractured skull after one slipped through the net!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I think calling them mini roundabouts is part of the problem. They are roundabouts and roundabout rules apply, there's nothing special about them, they just happen to be small.

Mini-roundabouts demand a different technique from full-sized ones, for both drivers and cyclists.

For example doing a u-turn at a mini-roundabout needs much more care.

C R

Guru
Mini-roundabouts demand a different technique from full-sized ones, for both drivers and cyclists.

For example doing a u-turn at a mini-roundabout needs much more care.
In terms of driving technique yes, due to size, in terms of rules they are roundabouts.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Your first method is correct, but feel free to dismount if it feels ‘dodgy’. Would not be the first time I’d done that.

There is nothing you can do about the bad behaviour, so carry on.

Although I always smile & wave as if acknowledging a ’hello’.

No, it doesn’t help the situation, but it does amuse me, which is the important thing.

I have had drivers overtake me whilst I was signalling right. You have to pick a road position that dominates your lane. If you ride too far right they will sneak through on the inside. A look is more effective than a signal.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have had the misfortune to be hit at a mini roundabout with a vehicle joining from the left whilst I was on the 'bout.
Remember to keep looking all ways as the vehicles are that much closer to you when joining from either side.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This thread reminds me of this incident from a few years ago now. Click through to his blog link and watch the video on full screen, it's really quite shocking and certainly makes you think.

www.cyclechat.net/threads/cyclist-down-manchester.157779

Just to repeat my earlier advice, trust no-one and treat every situation as if someone could be about to try and kill you.....

Don't have nightmares, do sleep well :okay:

Top Bottom