Minimum necessary gear for bike packing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Would it be called debit card touring if I brought a debit card instead? Or if I paid via my mobile banking app on my phone? :laugh:

No, same name as it’s named for the general principle of taking the bare minimum, staying overnight in accommodation and a means of having near enough unlimited funds at your disposal for paying for anything else.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This is my list for up to a month touring by hostel. If you don't have a S/C kitchen you won't be needing some of the food.

Panniers
Fleece Jacket
Fleece Jumpers 2 Off
Ron Hill Bikesters 2 Off
Synthetic T Shirts 2 Off
Zip-Off Trousers
Lycra Shorts 2 Off
Cagoule
Over Trousers
Windproof Jacket
Fleece Gloves
Balaclava
Cycle Cap
Sun Hat
Underpants 3 Off
Socks 3 Pr
Hankies 3 Off
Espadrilles
Cycle Shoes
Sun cream
Pannier Liners
Rucsac
Bumbag
Compr. Straps 2 Off
Belt 2 Off
Spex Case
Plastic Knife, Fork
Platypus Bag
Sterotabs
Carrier Bags
Document Wallet 2 Off
Towpath Permit
Camp Towel

Washkit:
Bag
Soap & S/W Bag
Shampoo
Razor
Comb
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Persil

Atlas Pages & Bag
Hbks: YHA/SYHA/Ind.
Tube/Train/Ferry Info
Chequebook
Map Measurer
Mity Info

Food:
Muesli
Milk
Large Loaf
Marge
Fish paste
Rice
Tin Curry/Chilli
Nuts
Biscuits
Sandwiches
Sandwich Bags

Water Bottles 3 Off
Indigestion Tablets
Elastic Bands
Bag Seals
Phone & Charger
Calculator
House Key
Spare Bike Key
CR1632 & CR2032
Small Change
Pencil & Rubber
Paper
Spex
M52, FT4, Belt
Computer
Lights F&R
Pump & Hose
Lock & Key
Cycle Clips
Magnifying Glass
Wetwipes & Bag
Tissues
Oil & Bag
Spare Tube
Map Holder Clip 3 Off
Spare Cables B&G
Spare Pads
Toe Strap

Toolroll:
Adjust. Spanner
Allen Keys 3,4,5,6
Screwdriver Fl/Pz
Cone Key
Chain Tool
Spoke Key
Jnr.Hacksaw Blade
Tyre Levers/Brush
Insulation Tape
Sellotape
Penknife
PVC Gloves
Tyraps
Spare Pump Hose
Rag
Tube Patches
Tyre Patch
Tyre boot
Valve stem washer
Rubber Solution
Chalk Grater
Chalk
Split Links
Spare Chain Links
Spare Bolts

First Aid:
Elastoplast
Savlon
Antiseptic Wipes
Bandage
Paracetamol
Nail Clippers
Scissors
Nylon Cord
Cotton
Buttons
Needles
Pins, Safety Pins

Wallet:
Cash
HSBC CC
Lloyds CC
Debit Card
Driving Licence
YHA Card
Clubcard

About as far from the minimum as can be 😂

chriswoody

Legendary Member
More details:
  • I will be using a gravel bike set up tubeless. Not because I plan on riding off road but because I can use bigger tyres and run lower pressure to make my ride more comfortable
  • The gravel bike I will be using have flared handlebars 44cm wide according to the specs (haven't measured it yet)
  • Bag wise, I already have a topeak saddle bag where I currently keep my tools; I also have a small topeak top tube bag which I use currently on my longer rides to keep food/phone/keys/credit card
  • I sweat a fair bit so I will be bringing with me 2 750ml bottles I have and I'm toying with the idea of attaching another bottle cage on the fork. Although there are no mounting points so it'd need to be a bodge job with duct tape and zip ties (bad idea? maybe an hydration vest would be better? I'm open to suggestions)
Thanks to all the others who have replied so far. There's a TON of good advice. Keep it coming :okay:

There's a good round up here of various ways of attaching extra bottle cages and mounts to your bike:

https://bikepacking.com/index/add-cage-mounts-bike/

Alternatively there is always a mountain bike style bum bag. I started using one this year for the first time to carry my camera in. Despite my initial scepticism about sweating a lot under it, I've been really impressed. On my Brandenburg tour this summer, some days were in the low thirties and several times after stops I had to reach down to touch my waist to check it was still there, it was that comfy I could barely feel it. I use this one:

https://www.evocsports.com/HIP-PACK-3-HIP-PACK-HYDRATION-BLADDER-1-5/102506307

lane

Veteran
B and B credit card tour for me:

I have my normal 5 litre rack top bag Vaude Silkroad 5L. This contains what I normally carry on a day ride being, waterproof, 2 tubes, levers, multi tool, sunglasses and sunscreen.

For the tour I add 1 ortlieb front pannier which I think is 12L (on rear rack)

I pack in the pannier the following:

Spare pair of bibs and jersey
Lightweight trousers and tee shirt for evening plus very lightweight shoes
Toiletries, toothbrush, mini toothpaste, plastic BIC razor, very small small aerosol deodorant that I have mostly used to reduce weight
2 charging cables (phone and GPS)
Lightweight plug with two USB charging points
Spare pair of socks and pants
Possibly lightweight fleece for evening but can use waterproof and leave this out

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
B&B or Youth-hostelling: you can get everything you need in 25–30 litres maximum. Reduce your bottom gear by adding 2 extra teeth to the rear sprocket compared to your usual setup. Have a good tour.

lane

Veteran
B&B or Youth-hostelling: you can get everything you need in 25–30 litres maximum. Reduce your bottom gear by adding 2 extra teeth to the rear sprocket compared to your usual setup. Have a good tour.

Or as per my post 17 litres
I already have a 0.75 gear so that is that taken care of!
If staying at a YHA I would add a lightweight micro fleece towel and some shower gell (provided for you at B and B) plus some ear plugs if a shared dorm

lane

Veteran
Would it be called debit card touring if I brought a debit card instead? Or if I paid via my mobile banking app on my phone? :laugh:

OK but not the app please - fed up standing behind people trying to pay with these things and it's not working properly due to poor signal or something. Credit / Debit card is lightweight enough that even I don't worry about it. Even take my cycling UK card with me.

lane

Veteran
OH and if staying at YHA you also need to make sure you have photo ID so driving licence if you have one.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I recommend that you book accommodation in advance - in places it can be sparse and does get booked up. We struggled a couple of times when we didn't and were 'rescued' by a lovely lady whose friend put us up - other wise it would have been a night under an upturned boat!

Top Bottom